Help with crown molding

madisonkathyOctober 14, 2012

I need help with crown molding issues with my GC. In the attached pic, the upper (to the ceiling) cabs have crown molding, and just small molding on the not-to-the-ceiling upper cabs *except* for the cabinets to the right of the window. I think the crown needs to be removed from the lower cabs right of the window. It looks to me like he got the wrong size cabinets, and the window is missing an eyebrow. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nini804

I like the large molding myself! I would have it on all of the cabs! But then, I am a "bigger is better" trim girl. :) Regardless,though, they definitely need to be the same whichever way you go.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 4:39PM
madisonkathy

nini, I like the larger crown too, but it won't fit on the lower cabs (according to the general contractor).

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 5:57PM
Kitch4me

Why can't he take the smaller molding off and replace with the same molding as on the right? I don't understand having two different sizes!

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 7:04PM
Kitch4me

Ok, I just googled staggered cabinets, you also have to stagger depths to make the cm work:( hopefully someone here can come up with a good solution.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 7:17PM
jerzeegirl

The cabinets to the right are installed correctly. The ones on the left aren't staggered enough to accommodate the crown molding returns.

I guess I would ask the contractor to change the crown molding. Instead of having crown molding that projects forward, I would have crown molding that runs straight up and down (flush with the fronts of the cabinets-no projection). I think that would solve the problem.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 8:17PM
jerzeegirl

Here's an example of the kind of crown molding I am talking about.

Contemporary Dining Room design by San Francisco Interior Designer Artistic Designs for Living, Tineke Triggs

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Can we still email.....
like you could on the old GW, if you were set up to...
bicyclegirl1
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
Crack in Quartz countertop
I purchased my Quartz countertop 7 months ago and I...
avsheth2002
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™