Choosing kitchen backsplash tile

lojeanieOctober 29, 2013

Our kitchen plans are coming together! The final piece is choosing backsplash. Our cabinets are a slight off-white so I want to avoid white or cream tile, but we also have a colorful counter so don't want the backsplash to "compete." We found a modwalls subway tile that coordinates nicely with our counter, I love it. The materials are obviously more expensive than most ceramics, but honestly it's a galley kitchen and not that big of an area.

However, our contractor said glass would also be more expensive to install and that certain types end up looking uneven due to the backing on the glass, and are more likely to crack. They encouraged me to reconsider and use ceramic instead, although they didnt have experience with modwalls specifically. Now I'm a bit worried- has anyone used modwalls before? Pros/cons of glass tiles in general?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
attofarad

Here's a thread that might be of interest. A couple of photos of my kitchen are toward the end, one with black and one with off white cabinets. Looks better in person. Busy granite countertops, subtle backsplash (mixed glossy and matte glass from Bedrosians). I think the tile was about $14/sq ft (just the material).

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash for busy counter tops

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
Is glazing stained cabinets going out of style?
It seems like glazing white or cream cabinets is already...
nerdyhousewife
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™