Does anyone know why some posts duplicate themselves?

may_flowersOctober 3, 2013

All of a sudden my posts are duplicating. I'm not doing anything differently. When I've seen it happen to others, I always thought they were impatient and clicked on Submit twice. It sure is annoying.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angela12345

By chance are you on an iPad ? I have had that problem on the iPad when I hit the back button.

It only duplicates the post when I preview the message, make a change, preview again, and then submit. If I only preview one time & submit, I do not get a duplicate when I hit the back button.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 4:36PM
Linelle

The only time it's happened to me (on MacBookPro) is when I've gotten impatient and pressed "Submit" before the post confirmation displays. You must wait for it!!!

Also, should you hit the back button, thinking you'll go back to the board, it will duplicate your action, i.e., re-post.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 4:41PM
moebus

It happens to me when I use preview on the iPad. It posts immediately when I hit preview and then again after I make changes. If I don't make changes then when I try to post it refuses because it's a duplicate.
It seems you have to post and then make changes through the edit process.

This is after I made corrections.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 5:18PM
SparklingWater

One way to prevent duplicate posts on an Apple computer at least, is to reset your browser window.

By back button, PP are referring to the back arrow in the left upper corner of your screen.

To prevent duplicate posts, GW has "return to kitchen forums" for example, at the top of the threads.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 6:00PM
jellytoast

Same issue as linelle when on a Windows PC ... hit the submit button twice, or hit the "back" arrow ... either will duplicate a post.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 6:49PM
may_flowers

Thank you! Fingers off the back button from now on!

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 7:02PM
debrak2008

It happens to me on a lenovo laptop. so the problem is hitting the back button?

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 7:22AM
angela12345

When I am on my laptop (IBM/Lenovo), I use the drop down on the back button and go all the way back to the main forum list home page at one time. I don't 'back' up through each of the pages individually (submit, preview, thread, home). I never have the duplicate post problem on the laptop. Only on the iPad and only when I preview more than once before submitting. Also, I have never had the problem of the preview working as a submit.

I suggest going to the test forum and testing out different ways of doing it to see if you can duplicate the problem you are having. Then you will know what to do to avoid it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/test/

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 9:22AM
debrak2008

I didn't know about the test forum. I followed the link, started a thread, then tried to post. The thread doesn't even appear.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 11:24AM
Linelle

Hitting the back button after submitting a post usually brings up a dialog window asking if you really want to repeat the action (or words to that effect). You don't want to do this. Hit cancel. I have GW on my bookmark bar (Mac). After I post I hit that, which reloads GW and puts me back at the Kitchens page. Even so, I refresh the URL so that the list of threads gets repositioned.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 11:38AM
may_flowers

Thinking some more on this...I usually check my posts after they've been posted to make sure they're there, and I haven't seen two posts when checking. But I've come back to threads and have then seen a second post.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 1:23PM
angela12345

debra, I can see your thread as well as the follow up post on the test forum.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 6:37PM
Trebruchet

I'm glad others have had this problem. I hope readers don't take repeated posts the wrong way.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:36AM
More Discussions
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™