Please help confirm my fridge selection

phillyfeetOctober 14, 2013

My original designs included a 42 inch fridge, but after looking at the choices, I realized i'd prefer a 36 inch bottom freezer. One of my main concerns being, if the 42 inch needs to be replaced someday, it will be harder to find a replacement than finding a 36 inch.
So now that i am in the 36 inch category, to maximize budget and fridge space, I was thinking of getting the 72 inch tall Jenn-Air counter depth fridge. But since again it seems like appliances aren't built to last anymore and i plan to be in the kitchen for the next 40 years (!), should i not be going for the taller fridge? Would it be easier to replace if i went with a more "standard" height fridge or having that extra space at the top may help in the long run?
Oh and as an aside, would i be able to put a TV above the taller fridge (standard 8 foot ceilings)
I am asking this in the kitchen forum and not appliance forum because i thought this is more a design question rather than a question regarding the actual appliance performance.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a2gemini

I have a 70 inch fridge with 8' ceilings and I would not enjoy watching TV above it.
I think you will see more and more streaming devices over TVs in the kitchen in the future. Also - the newer flat screen TVs are so thin, they could pop on almost any wall space.
You also lose great storage for vertical items that need a deep space.
I did see one cool idea - I can't remember who it was but they put an onyx frame around the TV on a wall.
Others can comment on fridge sizes - I bought mine before I even heard about giant fridges and re-used it with my remodel (Elux)

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 4:00PM
bookworm4321

my frige (arrived today) is GE Cafe, over 70". If I had stayed with CD, I liked the Jennair too. Hard to decide between those and Elux. Final choice came down to how one used the frige.

I added the picture to show the narrow space above, which is too high for a TV. Excuse the fact that frige is wrapped and not yet pushed back (needs water line).

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 4:30PM
phillyfeet

Thanks for the photo, it helped a lot. Btw, you have a very pretty cabinet color. I was hoping to put tv there because I thought it wouldn't be a spot for frequently used items and the seating is on opposite end of kitchen so everyone could see it. But now I can see that the space jyst isn't tall enough to fit a tv.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 4:59PM
bookworm4321

there is about 2' above that space, but would be extremely awkward to see from below .

thanks for the compliment on maple cabinets. I think I am the only one on GW to use maple (with brown glaze). They are definitely not a trend.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 6:57PM
phillyfeet

Sorry, duplicate post

This post was edited by phillyfeet on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 20:44

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 7:09PM
a2gemini

Bookworm - lovely picture and lovely cabinets.
Philly - I think you came to the right conclusion - Let us know what you figure out as it might help someone else along the way.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 7:45PM
EAM44

When I was looking for a fridge this summer, I considered the Jenn-Air but they seem to have a lot of negative reviews. That said, every model of every fridge has a negative review somewhere. Ask for Jenn-Air owners to weigh in in the title of a new post, or do a google search for Gardenweb and Jenn-Air to see if there are older threads that might be instructive.

I would consider the cd 42" Kitchen Aid. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:05AM
More Discussions
Help withwith quartzite countertops.
Hi all, I'm hoping I can find some information about...
MominMiami
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Help me with my Appliance Allowance - $15k
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™