Best caulk for backsplash(limestone) / countertop(granite) joint?

mratnerOctober 20, 2011

In their infinite wisdom, the contractors who were putting in the limestone tile backsplash used the same (sanded) grout for the inner corner joint with the granite countertop.

That grout is now falling out, presumably because it is not designed to bond to granite.

I read somewhere yesterday that they should have used caulk instead of grout - is that correct? In your experience, what is the best material to use for such a joint? Specific product names would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The best caulk to use is the sanded caulk that matches the grout that they used from the same manufacturer. Caulk should be applied at any change of plane, such as the corners and where the tile meets the counters. Apply a thin bead of that after you scrape all of the grout out of the joint. Never apply caulk over the grout.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 3:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyshadowwalker

Home Depot has a pretty good selection its not with caulk its with the grout, usually. Look at the big ends of the tube usually some has smeared and dried, there you can get a good idea of the final color. You should be able to get something that will go nicely. To keep it from smearing into the grout on the wall i put a strip of blue painters tape along the wall about 1/8 " away from the joint. I prefer thinner caulk lines you could go a little further away if you wanted a wider line.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Custom Cupboards
Has anyone used Custom Cupboards kitchen cabinets?...
tgmoran
Kitchen Layout help... Need opinions.
I am about to start building my house... Very excited...
adrituerk
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
laughablemoments
10 cm gap between cabinets and steel - help!
Hi all, Our kitchen designers have messed up their...
waytonc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™