bath ? Steel tub

ineffablespaceOctober 31, 2013

I have to use an inexpensive steel tub in a small bathroom unless I change the door from 28" to 24" (allowable where I live) and squeeze down the tub--toilet floorspace to near minimum, because no one makes a small alcove tub in anything but enameled steel anymore. American Standard just discontinued its okay enameled steel tub, and now I am pretty much limited to something that would be put in a trailer.

While this bathroom is in a basement and the tub/shower will only get heavy rotation while other house renovations are going on, I don't want it to be cheap feeling. (Long term it's going to be the family powder room and tub used as a utility item mostly)

I would put a cast iron tub in if Kohler still made one this size, though but nobody makes anything that is both small and good quality at the same time anymore. On the other hand I don't want to use Duravit with applied flanges for the alcove and get really expensive and tricky either.

Would it work to use Dynamat for sound attenuation and insulation on the back or would this be pointless.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

What size do you need? And did you know there's a Bathrooms forum here?

Here is a link that might be useful: bathrooms forum

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 3:15PM
ineffablespace

27" wide. (Bootz, Duravit, Kaldewei and Kohler Soissons: drop-in 28", $1100, and specifically not for alcove installation per Kohler)

The bathroom forum is rather slow, thanks though.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 3:47PM
jennybc

Have you considered a claw foot?? We found a 4.5' clawfoot on craigslist that was in near perfect condition. We removed the exterior paint, painted it all white (alabaster to match). Got it for $70!! The tub seems wider than a narrow drop in. Its cast iron which was something I was looking for.

Jen

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:11PM
palimpsest

I know this would be an option, but it's not really good for the situation, which is mostly going to be showers. There are a number of reasons why it can't be just a shower though.

I have noticed that many many houses in the neighborhood who have renovated the older bathrooms no longer have a bathtub anywhere in the house, because there is not enough room to put a 60 x 32 tub in most of them. These are small houses that had narrowish, 48"-54" long tubs or the square Princess or Mayflower tubs, most of which are no longer made, so they are replaced by showers. I am going to juggling space and taking a bit out of a bedroom to get at least one full sized tub space upstairs.

I am surprised that nobody really caters to the smallish urban house or apartment anymore, they still exist. Of course the New houses on my block are 3x the size and 4x the price of mine.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Shiloh vs. Diamond - Help!
We are in the process of a large remodel of our home....
jalit1013
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Sponsored Products
Sarah Chrome Five-Light Chandelier
$165.83 | Bellacor
Double Dobby Tub Mat Plain - SEAGLASS(AQUA)
$29.90 | Horchow
Hydro Systems Galaxie 6038 Freestanding Tub
Modern Bathroom
Remer by Nameeks K07 Tub Filler with Hand Shower - REMER K07
$407.00 | Hayneedle
Tapered Copper Beverage Tub
Signature Hardware
Blue Wave Saltron Retro
Beyond Stores
DreamLine Charisma 56-60x58-inch Frameless Bypass Sliding Tub Door
Overstock.com
Cloud 9 Concealed Thermostatic Triple Shower Faucet Valve 2 Outlets