Barrier island or sinking ship? Layout help

meme1October 3, 2012

While purchasing appliances we decided to update our kitchen from the previous owner. During the process, the cabinet person suggested we could change our layout to an island. Currently we have a peninsula, but it isn't that functional for us (2 adults).

Below is the new layout we are coming close to finalizing. The refrigerator and island aisle is 57-60". The area will also be a main walkway.

I read about aisle widths but am concerned it may be too narrow due to the refrigerator. Do you think we are cutting it too close? I appreciate your advice & suggestions.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meme1

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I'm having problems posting the PDF.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 4:15PM
maddielee

Is the only landing pad for things coming out of the fridge the island?

Personally, I would want the fridge closer to the sink.

ML

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 6:22PM
live_wire_oak

Put a prep sink on the island and it would be fine. Absent the prep sink, the fridge needs to go on the sink run at the end.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 6:56PM
meme1

Thanks for your input and advice. My preference is to move the refrigerator too. If it fits, it seems like a better layout.

Maddielee, yes, there is a landing spot next to the refrigerator.
Live wire oak, I wanted to move the refrigerator, but was told it's too big, it's 48". I'll get more details on the clearance space needed around the refrigerator and see if can work. If not I'll add the prep sink.

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 7:12AM
auroraborelis

It it is a 48" built in (like a subzero) then you have nothing to worry about regarding space. As for the sink, IMHO (and I'm not an expert) in an ideal world your fridge would be closer to your sink, but in the size of your kitchen you will manage fine with the distance.

As an aside - to post the pdf you need to save it as a jpeg.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 11:06AM
Bellsmom

I would move the fridge. Right now the island is a barrier between fridge and sink. But if you move the fridge, you lose most of the prep space on the perimeter. The space between sink and range is going to get stacked with dirty dishes.
Definitely a prep sink on the island whether you move the fridge or not. I would put it near the fridge. Then the island cabs are prep space convenient to sink, range, and fridge.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:25PM
meme1

Thanks for the additional feedback...it is a 48" built in refrigerator. I am going to talk to gc more about moving it to the sink wall.

Laura, thank you so much! It is reassuring to know that if we can't move the refrigerator that space won't be an issue.

Bellsmom, those are good points too. I didn't think about losing perimeter space or the placement of the prep sink. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Colored Wine Glasses Truly Dishwasher Safe
We are looking for some nice wine glasses that are...
curmudgeon10
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
Really want to improve my kitchen layout…
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Backsplash 'Rules'/Design Principals for Cohesion
Hi all! Still no reveal and yes still searching for...
autumn.4
Kitchen Layout help... Need opinions.
I am about to start building my house... Very excited...
adrituerk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™