Chandeliers...something other than a chain

ChantelNOctober 16, 2013

I tried posting this in the lighting forum, but didn't get a response, so I would like to ask the kitchen forum....

I have open beam ceilings in my dining room and the chandelier uses an 8 foot chain. I am replacing my old chandelier with this oil rubbed bronze one and I am wondering if anyone has used or seen a better solution than the old chain. My current chain just collects dust and spiderwebs and is difficult to clean since the dust just drops onto the chandelier when I knock it off with a long handled duster. My MIL suggested a silk or polyester chain cover, but that is a bit too Victorian for my taste and I still think it may collect dust and cobwebs to the same degree as my chain, but maybe it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Since the ceiling mount is angled, I thought about a modified downrod, like for a ceiling fan, but would like to know if anyone has had success with that or possibly has come up with something else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robo (z6a)

I like downrods on a hinge. They sell lots of downrods for fans...don't know why they couldn't be used for a chandelier?

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 4:50PM
raee_gw

It certainly seems to me that you can use a downrod from a fan or pendant. For a fixture like the example above, you likely would have to find a piece to screw onto the threaded end of the rod that can then attach to the loop on the fixture.
I did see some examples of chandeliers with rods instead of chains at Lighting Direct (on a quick search).

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:16PM
Clarion

We had the same dilema and solved it with cloth-covered electrical cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundial

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 7:48PM
jellytoast

I was under the impression that downrods only worked with fans that were designed for them.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:07PM
cookncarpenter

I have three examples of options other than chain right in my house.
Fixture over kitchen sink, sloped ceiling.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:41PM
cookncarpenter

A rope covered cord...

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:42PM
cookncarpenter

A simple downtube...

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:43PM
badgergal

I have a chandelier that has a rod like ctycdm shows in the first picture. It came with two 6" and two 12 inch stems (.5" diameter) that could be threaded together for the length needed. According to the manufacturer the pivoting piece at the ceiling allows for a 45 degree max stem tilt. Something like that should be able to work for your sloped ceiling.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™