Dishwasher Cabinet Questions

wolfgang80October 23, 2012

Our non-paneled dishwasher is being placed on the far right hand side of a cabinet run with the right side against a wall. On the left side of the dw is a freestanding sink.

My questions for you are:

1) Should the cabinet that we are having built for the dw also enclose the dw on the right side? Or, should the dw be pushed up against the wall on the right side? Our initial thought was to have the cabinet enclose the top and left side of the dw, but now I'm thinking that the cabinet should frame all three sides. What is the proper way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

A DW isn't in a cabinet. It's between two cabinets. You need at leasta 1" filler against the wall, with a ledger board screwed to the wall to support the counter at the side and back. Use that 1" to fill with the pink foamboard you find at the hardware store.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolfgang80

Thanks Holly. What is the 1" filler? Is it a 1x1 or 1x2 that is screwed into the wall vertically flush with the front of the dw? Since there is no cabinet to the left of the dw, what do you suggest for the left side of the dw to 1) cover the exposed side of the dw and 2) give the countertop something to sit on?

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™