Cost to Refinish
Refinish, Reface, Replace? I am doing what was intended to be a partial kitchen upgrade on our 17 yr old kitchen. We expect to stay in the house at least another 10-15 years. We are definitely replacing appliances (stainless), counter (granite) and backsplash. I am trying to make a decision on what makes sense for the cabinets and flooring.
Cherry Cabinets - to the ceiling, crown molding,finish in fairly decent shape - 2-3 cracked doors, some wearing on the most used cabinets doors, hinges keep breaking and need replacement. There are 20 doors , 11 draw fronts and 6 cabinet ends. About a total of 26 ln ft (if I add 18ft lower and 18ft upper cabs).
Flooring - 12x12 ceramic tile, some cracked tiles near sink under area rug, typical darkening of grout in some spots so not a totally uniform appearance, grout loosening along baseboard edges.
Plan A Reface - Replace doors with full overlay stained to match existing crown moulding and exposed frame. Not exactly a total reface - no veneers applied to box. Estimate ballparked at $3000 using on-line door and drawer front site. Will do some additional cabinets at 6 Ln Ft and add panels on cab ends for closer match to new doors. So estimating about another $2K. I'm guessing $1500 for install ($50 each for total of 30 doors/drawer fronts)? Leave floor as is - use a tile refinishing service. Cab budget $6.5K, floor budget $1.6K, total budget for everything (lights, appliances, table etc) about $30K.
Plan B Replace - cabs estimated through HD at about $14K for Kraftmaid (bead molding, painted and glazed) plus about $2.5K estimate for install. Replace 364 sq ft floor with wood. Total Cab budget $16.5, floor budget $3.8K,demo $6.5K offset by selling my cabs for $2.5K, total budget for everything about $45-48K.
Plan C Refinish - written off this idea assuming it is fairly labor intensive and would exceed the "modified" Reface estimate.
These are the issues I am noodling and would appreciate any thoughts to help me decide whether to go with Plan A Reface or invest an additional $18K and Replace.
Reface (Plan A) - will new doors match existing box and crown molding for a "brand new" kitchen look or will it look a bit mismatched and age differently (remember it is cherry)? Will floor stand out as old with everything else updated? Can the floor easily be replaced a couple of years from now? Tile does not go under the cabs but will removal damage cabs? Is it more expensive to install wood floors "around" existing cabs?
Replace (Plan B) - Am I crazy to be tearing out solid cherry cabinets in fairly decent shape? However, if not done now then never - we are early 50s, 1 child still at home - so I don't see us making major enhancements 5-10 yrs down the road. As a separate project we want to add a french door to an adjoining room. Will this require the threshold to the kitchen to be disturbed and cause patching to the kitchen floor tile? If we replace kitchen flooring and do the two projects together the result will be better. Is selling the cabinets feasible - it would make me feel better to not dump them in the trash?
Are there any other pros/cons or questions I have not considered that would help me decide what to do?
Appreciate any input from others that have considered these options. It would be an easier decision if my kitchen was terribly dated or poor quality cabinetry!