Inline Valve for Refrigerator Ice Maker

JD-318October 31, 2012


I am new to the Forums and I have a request. I would like to install a valve in the flexible line that connects my ice maker to the supply line that is in my crawl-space. The ice maker suffers from an issue that could be resolved if I could lessen the water pressure going to the refrigerator.

I figure that I can accomplish this by installing an "inline" ball valve or gate valve in the standard flexible plastic water line. With the valve, I can modify the pressure until I get optimal results.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this project? I need to obtain a practical valve. Any ideas on online sources for the valve, which I believe would be 1/4 inch, brass or plastic, and would contain compression fittings on both sides of the valve?

Thanks for ANY help you all can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am confident you can get such a valve at any big-box store. If you really want an online source, you could order it from McMaster-Carr and have it in a day or two. (They are fast.)

I think it is generally not advised to use a valve in this fashion. There are pressure reducers made for such a purpose, which have the advantage of supplying water at a constant pressure downstream. (The downstream pressure in your intended application would vary with the input pressure.) However, I think for such a low-use application as an icemaker, your solution will be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: McMaster-Carr

    Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 3:02PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
Need advice on Backsplash
I am a chef and caterer--I'm just finishing up a large...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™