placement of kitchen sink in countertop

remodel-mamaOctober 3, 2010

Hi,

The contractor is about to cut the hole for the sink in the plywood that goes under the (quartz) countertop and is asking me how I want it positioned.

I bought the Kraus 30" x 18" sink

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kraus-30-inch-Undermount-Single-Bowl-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Sink/3381330/product.html?cid=143937&fp=F&mr:referralID=49e475ce-cf0e-11df-ad8e-001b2166c62d

So, the question is, how many inches of countertop to leave in the back vs. the front of the sink.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

Pull the sink as far forward as you can without compromising the integrity of the stone. The farther back the sink is, the farther forward you have to reach to get to the faucet as well as work in the sink itself...and the greater the possibility of causing back problems (and the taller you are, the worse it is). Additionally, you want to be sure you have enough room behind the sink and in front of the backsplash (or window) to fit the faucet as well as use the faucet without hitting the backsplash, window, or window sill.

In most cases, you shouldn't need more than 4" b/w the inside wall of the sink and the counter edge...less is much better if your stone can handle it. Remember, the counter overhangs the cabinets by approx 1.5"...so factor that in. This means, the inside wall of the sink should be no more than 3.5" from the outside of the front wall of the cabinet.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 1:36PM
remodel-mama

thanks buehl! Do you think 3" from the edge would be ok with Caersarstone quartz?

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 2:50PM
buehl

I don't honestly know...maybe someone else can answer that? I don't know much about quartz, sorry! Even w/granite, it depends on the stone and, to some extent, the skill of the fabricator and/or his/her machinery.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Northern Jersey/Big Apple
I am going to be in this area for a couple weeks. I...
a2gemini
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™