convert down draft to range hood?

PoorOwnerOctober 25, 2012

This is my next kitchen..

It has a downdraft cooktop and it needs to go, right now it is vented to outside wall I don't know how it is routed or go through maybe studs.. but how hard is it to convert to a range hood?

I am guessing it goes up the soffit thing then sideways? otherwise does it go through the studs in some way?

It is a 9 foot ceiling house but the soffit is 8" I have seen recess lighting added too after the fluorescent fixture is taken out. I have seen the same home for sale with the hood added so it can be done.

I am hoping to address this temporary before a big remodel


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We're doing exactly the same thing in our house. As I understand it, there's probably no efficient way to link a new vent hood to the existing downdraft system, so we're looking at basically removing the down draft ventilation and closing up the hole in the house where that one exits and then creating a new overhead ventilation system running the ducting through the top of the cabinets (but in your case the soffit will probably work assuming there's nothing in there) to outside.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
Can anybody plz recommend a custom cabinetmaker in South Denver area?
Hello! This is my first time posting; I'm in the first...
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™