cabinet layout help

BarefootContessaOctober 22, 2012

About a month ago I posted my proposed kitchen layout and got excellent feedback and suggestions. The below is the finalized layout. Now I am looking for suggestions regarding the cabinet configuration. We are a larger family (five kids) and eat at home almost all of the time. As you can see, we have a pantry closet along with a broom closet (on the wall outside of the frig). I looking for any and all suggestions on what kinds of requests you might make. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhome410

I missed your previous posts, so hope I don't beat a dead horse, repeating things already discussed and decided. Since you say this is the final plan, but you also want cabinet layout help, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for, and I may give more than you want...

What are the small spaces to the outside of each dishwasher?

Have you considered a rectangular-shaped pantry, so that it doesn't have such a large footprint in the space and using up room for your large family to move around? You could eliminate those spaces beside the dishwashers and spread the pantry down a bit, so that you'll have room for a door facing the stove.

For me, your fridge is not in a great place, because of your cooking/baking/and prep all going on on the other side of the room, meaning you'll cross traffic and sort of through your cleanup area to access it while cooking. We have 8 kids and in our kitchen plan (because of previous negative experience in other kitchens), I wanted to make sure that people setting the table, for instance, didn't cross paths with the person trying to cook the meal.

The fridge is also in the best dish storage area. You don't seem to have much with only the uppers above the dishwashers, which aren't very large and will be hard to reach when unloading the dishwashers.

You show a 12" upper above the fridge. I'd sure make certain that cabinet is deeper or pulled forward, so you can reach it.

More later if you're interested and if I can get onto the computer that will allow me to play with your plan... :-)

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 3:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dilly_ny

It seems to me that you have alot of un-utilized space in your 7x10 desk / broom closet area. Are the dotted lines doorways?

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Need advice on Backsplash
I am a chef and caterer--I'm just finishing up a large...
avolab
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™