Need help Designing kitchen around red range

peacecorpOctober 13, 2013

Hi - we are doing a complete kitchen remodel. Keeping our bright red Bertazzoni range and getting confused on what color cabinets (and countertops) would best compliment . Design mags seem to favor white cabinets and dark countertops but DH really pushing for wood stain cabinets...we are going with simple shaker style and a transitional/contemporary look. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bookworm4321

Anything with a red tone, e.g. cherry, red oak, or maple stained. IMHO

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 4:41PM
rosie

Could you look to non-kitchen photos for combinations you like that could be interpreted with wood cabinets, all or part? This could have red stove, taupe walls, dark wood island, white... Proportions could be changed as desired.

Traditional Bedroom by New York Architects & Designers Andre Tchelistcheff Architects

Light wood finish lowers in a color similar to the walls, with trim lightening it all up even more?

Rustic Kitchen

How about something like this with dark stained lower cabinets?

Dark island and white background? A red stove would do great things for this kitchen.

In imagining playing with colors, the biggest potential constraint I see might be the finish of the rest of the appliances. Maybe cover panels if it were a problem?

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 6:19PM
cawaps

I feel the opposite of bookworm4321, I really DON'T like red-reds with red-toned woods. I don't know why, but I really don't think they work well together. If it has to be wood (and I would totally vote for white), I would go with something with as little red as possible. Maybe a chocolate brown, or something in a really light tone.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 10:00PM
Wagle

My husband is a visual learner--I would head to pinterest or Houzz and show him red stoves with different cabinets.
I searched "red stove" on pinterest and there are a ton of pins.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 6:55AM
nosoccermom

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 1:08PM
kksmama

I agree with cawaps, would rather see white or gray than anything warm with the red range.

Contemporary Kitchen by Vancouver Design-Build Firms Odenza Homes Ltd

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 2:14PM
cawaps

To clarify what I said earlier, now that nosoccermom has provided useful illustrations, the ones I like the least have redish or orangish cabinets: #8 (with the green walls) and #9 (with the pots hanging from the chimney hood). I'm not especially fond of the other mid-tone cabs either--#2 (burgundy range and hood), #3 (with the little open shelf under the counter), and #10 (with the red quartz counter on the left island section).

My favorites are the chocolate browns--#1 and #6 (with the limes). The really dark brown/black cabs are fine too, if you like that look. I also quite like the pickled cabs (#7, with the curvy peninsula), which read "cool" and don't try to steal the show from the red.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 3:16PM
fouramblues

islandlaurie's kitchen is a must-see for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: islandlaurie's kitchen

This post was edited by fouramblues on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 15:26

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 3:23PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

If you need help with designing a kitchen, hire a kitchen designer. Most of the time, they are FREE when you purchase the cabinetry from them. You wouldn't get out the scalpel to remove that skin tag. You'd go to a dermatologist who could do that (and then send it off for a biopsy.)

Get a professional to do a professional's job.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:45PM
peacecorp

Wow great suggestions and thanks nosoccermom & kksmom for the photos
Hollysprings I know you are right but DH and I would waste time & drive a designer CRAZY without doing research first (such as provided by this forum) because we are so opposite in our tastes. He loves a more traditional or rustic wood feel such as suggested by formulablues (islandlaurie's kitchen), while I am in agreement with kksmom and cawaps - I want the red stove to Pop against contrasting white or dark cabinets....so as suggested by Rosie and wagle, I'll keep searching for photos online. Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:48AM
pricklypearcactus

I would recommend searching for images online (try Houzz.com and of course Google images) to try to evaluate uses of red ranges to see what components of kitchens with red ranges really appeal to both you and your husband. From there, I would suggest trying something like Olioboard.com (or Photoshop) to make inspiration boards to think through your options of material choices until you can settle on one or more that you both really like.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:07PM
ILoveCookie

This is old-world, not contemporary, but it has a cute red range. :)

Traditional Kitchen by Other Metro Furniture & Accessories William Olsen Designs

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:28PM
annkh_nd

Peacecorp, what did you have in your kitchen before? Did you like it? Why or why not?

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:47PM
mrspete

I vote for Rosie's picture #3. Using the very neutral white background allows the red range to really pop and become the focal point it should be.

I personally would've been tempted to use more red somewhere else . . . but this picture convinces me that I'd be wrong to do so.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 2:07PM
fouramblues

Well then here's a link to a thread with a pic of colicky boy's white shaker cab kitchen with red Blue Star. Can't find his kitchen reveal, and I'd love to see it as I really liked what I saw in the in-progress shot. I'm actually quite partial to warm white kitchens, having just done one myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with colickyboy's range run

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 3:11PM
jellytoast

I can't offer any thoughts on the cabinet color, but I can say that my seafoam green granite looks fabulous with red. My only red accent is the knobs on my stove, but it makes me want to add more. The seafoam is more of a woodsy muted green with brown and copper color accents, so there is no "christmassy" look with the red added.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 9:50PM
Clarion

I can't see any wood cabinets doing justice to the red. Painted cabs will really bring it out, -and white wouldn't be the only color that would work.

Perhaps you could appease DH with the uppers being wood, but when you go with a red range, you are going for color, IMHO. Focus on color.

Visit the Bertazzoni/Aga/Lacancge sites for examples.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:14PM
lavender_lass

"He loves a more traditional or rustic wood feel..."

"I want the red stove to Pop against contrasting white or dark cabinets."

What about an English country style? I've always liked this kitchen....and a red range would fit right in :)

From Farmhouse plans

From [Farmhouse plans](https://picasaweb.google.com/113704953485102437421/FarmhousePlans?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite)
    Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™