range wall hood/cabinets configuration

home4all6October 10, 2012

I'm hoping to get finished plans tonight so I can post the kitchen layout here for discussion, but in the meantime, I have an issue I can't resolve...

I'm having trouble deciding how to configure the cabinets around my range hood. I have a 48" bluestar range, and a 48" bluestar proline hood in stainless steel. I had intended to have the cabinets butt-up to the hood, but now I realize I need a few inches of clearance on each side of the range. I should have a bigger hood, but I already have this one...

So, what can I do to make this work?

My ceilings are only 8'5". I'm planning to have 42" uppers.

I've linked to a picture of the general idea of what I had hoped to do...but now I don't think I can.

One idea I had was a skinny cabinet to either side of the hood, that goes from the bottom of the hood up to the ceiling height, to hold spices, oils, etc? But I can't find a single pic of this...so it might look ridiculous! Or have the hood stand alone, but you never see that with this style of hood--only chimney style, right?

Any suggestions on what might work? Or canI just place the cabinets the way I originally intended? I really don't want to a bigger hood...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willtv

I'm not sure why you think you need clearance between the upper cabs and the hood.
Here's a shot of my 36" Bluestar range & hood setup.

No clearance necessary
HTH.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 12:35PM
home4all6

willtv,
Ok, thanks for that! I looked at so many ranges, and some of them DID specify you needed additional clearance above, but now I see that the Bluestar doens't say that...hmmm, interesting. So I guess I will be ok with my original plan...phew! I'm relieved!
I love your spunky black and white backsplash!

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 12:52PM
willtv

According to page 7 of Bluestar's installation manual, as long as you have 18" from your countertop to the bottom of your upper cabs you should be OK.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™