Prep sink faucet placement for 2 sided access

deedlesOctober 14, 2012

Those of you that have a prep sink accessible from both sides of an island or peninsula... where did you put your faucet so it could be used easily from both sides? Or, did you make it easiest to use from the 'business' side of the space? I'm thinking the most it'll be used on the non-business side is for a quick handwash or drink of water... but how does your household use the prep faucet other than for prepping?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

We put our faucet on the outer corner. Ours is used most from the working side for prepping, hand washing during cooking and baking, draining pasta or other things, and for interim cleanup -- some times a gathering spot for used dishes and utensils to gather out of the way and then be carried to the cleanup sink. Sometimes I wash something I want to quickly reuse. It also serves some quick handwashing, drink of water, wash some fruit for a snack or filling the dogs' water bowl when we aren't cooking.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 2:10PM
deedles

thanks lascatx! That seems like a good place, esp since I'm trying to keep the prep sink cab as small as possible.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:40PM
lascatx

Don't go too small. I was concerned about not losing too much of my newly found island top (it used to have the cooktop, so that open space was all new and all cherished). Mine is about 15x15 and I wouldn't go any smaller. For me, that is about the best bang for the inch, so to speak. I can set a large colander in it, a pasta pot if I need to, even a dishpan and it isn't too small for hitting accurately with trimmings, boiling water or gooey egg shells. A lot of folks love 18, 20, 24 inch prep sinks, but most say not to go much smaller than the one I have.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 11:38AM
rhome410

Do you mean you'll be using your sink from opposite sides of the island, or from one side and one end, like the sink is on the corner of the island? If it's the latter, we installed ours on the diagonal, so either side of the sink is the 'front.'

I'll second Lascatx's recommendations on size. :)

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
what metal finish with a Chambers stove?
I'm planning a kitchen remodel. I already have my white...
mccb1
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Homelegance Amaya Cocktail Table in Warm Cherry
Beyond Stores
Elite Grade A Ceramic White Square Bathroom Vessel Sink
Overstock.com
Round Skirted Vessel Copper w/ORB Vessel Fct
PLFixtures
Double Offset Bowl TruGranite Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Faucet Paper Towel Holder
$16.99 | zulily