Height of granite backsplash?

tomatotomataOctober 3, 2008

I'll have a small granite backsplash, with tile above it. I was thinking the granite portion would be about 3-4 inches, but the granite guy says 6 inches is the norm. Seems high to me - what do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1

6"? No...that is too high. 4" would look best. Have you really thought about your options though? 4" short granite BS used to be pretty common, but it is not done much anymore. Most people are just running the tile right down to the countertops.

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 11:27AM
footballmom

I would also find out what the cost of the short granite backsplash is. When I price out my granite, the 4" backsplash was as much as the total cost of the tile backsplash. I Also believe that 4" is the norm. I have never seen 6"
(BTW the 4" splash was 500.00 while the tile for the 18" backsplash was 120. for the tile and 300 for install.)
G

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 11:37AM
ccoombs1

Two linear feet of 6" backsplash is the same as one square foot of granite. At $45 to $100 per square foot, it is no surprise to me that the granite guy wants to sell 6" BS. And in this case, BS does NOT stand for backsplash!! lol!

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 12:15PM
remodelfla

4" is the standard I've seen on this forum; especially when people are mixing a small granite BS with tile.

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 4:37PM
weissman

4" is generally considered the standard but if you're going with a tile backsplash, you really don't need it unless you like the look. Granite places do tend to push it, though.

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 4:48PM
nicole93089

I did a short little granite backsplash. It's 2 inches high and I absolutely love it. Enough to get the look and finish that I wanted, but not so much that it makes a statement. I knew I wanted a granite backsplash because I don't like where tile meets counter.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 9:21AM
pluckymama

Granite places really push the granite backsplash. They make a lot of $$$ with it. Unless you really like the look of the granite, you will save $$$ going with a tile backsplash. Most kitchens today do not have a granite backsplash, but to talk to a granite fabricator, you would never know that. They tell you how difficult it is to get the tile to line up next to the granite as most walls aren't plumb, etc...

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 11:01AM
dmiller

THIS granite shop does not push granite backsplash. We try to steer customers to tile because we think it looks better. And no, we do not do tile work either. If a customer wants a granite backsplash, then we will do it. 4" high is normal in our area though.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 3:52PM
gorilla_x

4" is standard... we have 5 1/2". That's because we have a breakfast bar, and the backsplash there was 5 1/2"... so we did 5 1/2" all around.

To be honest, it looks good. Bathrooms have 4". Both look good.

-Gorilla

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 4:26PM
glad

way to go, dmiller!
count me among everyone else who never heard of a 6" splash. i love the look f the 2" and was going to do that if i just painted the walls. but since i went with tile, i didn't get any. i understand nicloe's point - i'm not thrilled wit the caulk line where the tile and counter meet; but it bothered me less than "chopping up" the wall with two materials.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 4:42PM
lukkiirish

Unfortunately, our granite store DID push for the granite backsplash (4 inch) at first we said ok, then after an inquiry in the forum, we realized it was not what we wanted and the guy was offended when I called him back to say no backsplash. And the savings is about the same the tile and labor will cost.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 4:57PM
mrs-mjt

I just had a 6" granite backsplash installed and I think it looks great! My granite has a lot of movement and I like how it is carried onto the walls for an added touch. The only place I don't care for it is above the cooktop as I'd prefer a full backsplash there. Perhaps I'll change it out later. FYI, neither the granite place or the installer pushed for a granite backsplash. It was my choice. I did pre-fabricated granite so the backsplash was readily available to go with the countertops if I desired to use it.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 5:34PM
pcjs

Since we didn't know when we'd tile our shop recommended it since we are DIY, and I didn't want an 4 inch and they worried about transport/breaking on a 2 inch, so we compromised at a 3 inch and that seemed to work well for us. I actually don't think they charged us fully for it, but I don't know as they were very reasonable with everything but weren't a very fancy or high tech shop. I'm glad we did it now as a year later we haven't finished the kitchen messing with other parts of the house. What our shop did which was nice was cut some of the bigger pieces when they cut the countertop so it flows with the counter and lines up. I was going to be anal and wanted to be there at templating but when they said that, I decided to trust them and was happy they did that as it would have never occured to me.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 6:42PM
pbrisjar

pcjs - did you mount the granite backslpash yourself? What did you use?

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 7:45PM
backsplash_boy

I don't know if my last message cleared, but here's what it said:

I just found a great site with information on backsplash things. The site URL is as follows:

http://www.publicdesigns.com/category/kitchen-backsplash/

Here is a link that might be useful: publicdesigns.com backsplash information

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 10:41PM
sandibt_yahoo_com

I wanted to do granite up to the base of the cabinets (& have our tile removed)... has anyone seen this?

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 1:10PM
graniteguy1234

you all obviously have no idea what you are talking about. 4" backsplash is the standard height yes, but it is very common for people who have money to extend the splash to 8"-11"... full height splash is also very popular these days however if you are too cheap to buy a nice stone worthy of showing off it's natural beauty, you should probably go with a glass tile. as for granite salesmen "pushing" 4" height granite this is also false... even on a 75 Square foot kitchen you are only looking at MAYBEE 8 Square foot of extra material for the splash... not much extra money there

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Best mid (low?) range painted cabinet: Kemper, Medallion, Home Crest
Love this forum and would love to know anyone's experience...
fourquinn
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™