Buying cabinet accessories from another dealer

fourfirstnamesOctober 13, 2012

Is there much difference in cost and quality if I were to buy my roll out shelves, garbage and pantry from Rev A Shelf or Hafele instead of the cabinet manufacter? I plan on asking for an itemized list so I can compare apples vs apples. If my carpenter is installing the accessories from the cabinet manuf he can just as easily install from an aftermarket seller. Any opionions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakuvall

Cabinet mfg will always cost more. Aftermarket you only get warranty from supplier and may lose mfg warranty on cabinet (check first varies)
My experience is I only do that as a cost saving measure on DIY so check with installer re labor and some do not like doing that.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 11:52AM
PRO
modern life interiors

bump

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 12:25PM
herbflavor

if you install rev a shelf roll outs according to their specs why would that void a warranty on a cabinet? But the cabinet manufacturer might have a more solid rollout tray and better glides, also various side heights on the roll out tray. the roll out chrome caddies for underneath the sink,I think should be fine chosen from assorted styles at hafele,etc,after the plumbing is set-because you wouldn't know how the space is exactly configured until all that is done by plumber,anyway.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 6:22PM
jakuvall

Can't say why, just know sme do so check. Do lots of aftermarket under sinks, but whether factory or after I always specify the plumbing.
Other thing to check if not getting from whoever supplies the cabinets is who will be responsible for correct fit?

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:47PM
live_wire_oak

While most cabinet manufacturers products are more expensive up front, by the time you add in the installer's labor to put the accessories in, you will have spent more money and time than you would if you just ordered everything from the manufacturer. Also, many accessories, like lazy susans, are only installable while the cabinet is being constructed as the doors of the cabinets aren't large enough to get the turntables through after the fact.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 11:49PM
sedonamazer

My cabinet maker uses rav a shelf and he is a semi custom manufacturer.. He allows multiple interior manufacturers. I had to let them know which I wished to use before manufacturing began.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Horizontal uppers
Has anyone designed or installed horizontal uppers...
tigger9759
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Sponsored Products
Virtu MS-2248-WMRO-ES-002 Vanity in Espresso with Carrara Marble Top
Blue Bath
KOHLER Kitchen Whitehaven Smart Divide Undermount Cast Iron
Home Depot
Geneva 30 in. Short Wall Cabinet - 301922
$185.00 | Hayneedle
Design Element Bathroom London 92 in. Double Vanity in White with Marble Vanity
Home Depot
Afina Signature Traditional Lighted Single Door 24W x 34H in. Recessed Medicine
Hayneedle
Steve Silver Leona TV Cabinet - Acacia - LY600TV
Hayneedle
Rite Lite Picture & Display Lighting 6-LED Dorado Bronze Picture Light LPL602DBZ
$22.76 | Home Depot
Avanity WESTWOOD-VS24-EB Westwood 24-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Multicolor - WES
$712.50 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™