microwave question? help me decide

LybanOctober 29, 2012

I am looking for a counter microwave and am confused about so many of the knob versus keypads that are now out there.

I have always had a keypad and now that I see this new look I am wondering if it is easy to get used to or am I better off with the keypad.

Anyone have a preference or advice?

I am looking at Panasonic.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phylhl

keypad seems easiest to use but I would base the decision on power, size or where it's going to best fit in your kitchen. the microwaves always drive everybody crazy!

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 12:44PM
marti8a

I've been looking for a countertop microwave too, one that I can put on a shelf. What has kept me from buying one yet is the percentage of bad reviews for every one of them that will fit on a shelf.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 12:52PM
technicolor

I was looking at them too and surprised those knobs being on the majority. Even the best ones with more power and size had them. Would much rather have total keypad. Have you considered an under the counter? More options and would give you counter space.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 12:53PM
Madeline616

Hi lyban,

I wanted to get the knob one for my Mom, whose kitchen I'm re-doing. She was totally not into it, and I understood why--it seems like a real pain. I have to say, though, the Amazon reviewers are crazy about those knobs! They love them. I recall only one person, when I read the reviews, who complained that the knob as annoying.

There were a good few, though, who complained that the Panasonic broke after a very short time. Not sure if this is the same micro you're looking at, but here are the reviews:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Panasonic Micro Reviews

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 1:12PM
Lyban

Thank ypu everyone for all the replies, I will check out the amazon reviews madeline.
I should clarify, I bought myself a new MW after 24 years of use from my old Panasonic, I read all the reveiws and had such a hard time to decide but settled on the Panasonic NNSN690S which is a 1.2 CF keypad and I have had it now 1 year and love it.
So I am now looking for a new one for my DD and SIL for a gift. I would get them the same one because I like it so much but of course it is discontinued. They tell me the closest to it is NNST681S but it has the knob that is why I cannot decide or I could get the exact same one as mine with keypad but a touch larger at 1.6 CF Mocel NNSN790S.
So I have to decide knob versus keypad??
Decisions never used to be so difficult. They now make so many models of everything....LOL

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 1:24PM
lalithar

I did a panasonic too..

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic NN-SD681S Genius

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 2:43PM
Lyban

lalitha,

Can you tell me how you like having the knob versus touchpad.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 4:27PM
veda_2006

We got a panasonic with the knob only because it was the only one that would fit in the built-in area that we have. We have been pleasantly surprised at how much we like it. I never would have thought so, but it's so easy to use, and now we actually prefer it over a keypad!

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 6:24PM
Lyban

Veda or lalitha,
Please explain do you just turn the knob and does it show min. And seconds or something else.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 6:31PM
shannonaz

I have just started looking at microwaves and knobs seemed weird at first but then I realized that my beloved Breville Smart Oven uses knobs instead of a keypad and it's a really nice appliance...

Here is a link that might be useful: The awesome Breville Smart Oven

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 6:38PM
veda_2006

Right, you just turn the knob and push start. There are one second increments up to one minute, and then after that it is 30 second increments. It's harder to explain than to actually do it!! But the knob turns very fast so it's easy to get the time you want. There are some other auto settings too, and you can set power levels. It's very simple to use. I was really skeptical and would have preferred a keypad, but now I'm totally sold on this one.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:14PM
veda_2006

Lyban, sorry I posted that without saying that there is a window that shows the amount of time you are dialing and a countdown so you can see how much time is left. Hope this helps, not sure I'm explaining myself very well!

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:18PM
Lyban

veda,
thank you that explains it very well, so maybe I just have to embrace new technology.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Need advice on choosing type of kitchen cabinet hardware
We are having our house totally redone after a fire...
celocey
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Gray Tile Grout - hideous HELP!!
Please help! I asked my tile guy to update our backsplash....
isheryl
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Do all my finishes have to match
My kitchen cabinet hardware is brushed nickel, but...
cheriberi2001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™