The woman whi invented the modern kitchen

lazy_gardensOctober 25, 2012

Great article at slate.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Woman who Invented the Kitchen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ppbenn

Interesting that she had no actual practical experience putting a meal together. Article says she couldnt cook but based her kitchen design theories on the baking of a cake, the one thing she could do in the kitchen.
Their family was the basis for the book Cheaper by the Dozen

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 11:43AM
camlan

I suspected it might be Lillian Gilbreth before I clicked the link. She and her husband went into factories and such and revamped the work stations there, so a kitchen was probably easy for her, even though she couldn't cook. I read the books her children wrote when I was in high school. And she had 11 kids!

Had to chuckle at the last picture in the article. That could have been my grandmother's kitchen, border on the linoleum floor and all. The same kitchen table and chairs, although Grandma's was off to one side with a bench against the wall. The kitchen had been rebuilt after a fire in 1938, and the cabinets, the pulls, the metal trim on the counters, even the bread box are very, very similar. It was a very workable kitchen, and pleasant to be in--mostly white/off white, with a gray floor and bits of red and black trim.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 9:30AM
ellabee_2016

In the bottom picture, of the 1920s kitchen, what do you think is the roll hanging on the side of the cabinet above the sink? In today's kitchen it would be paper towels, but surely not then. Wax paper? Butcher paper?

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 1:14PM
camlan

I did some digging, and paper towels were invented around 1910. Scott Paper made the first kitchen paper towels in 1930. So it is barely possible that those are paper towels in the picture.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Reveal - White Cabinets/Soapstone
Hi all, I wanted to post the before/after pics of our...
runnergirl79
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
what granite edge did you choose and why
Templating took 5+ hours over 2 days and now I have...
bostonpam
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™