space between sink and dishwasher

hilltophomeownerOctober 8, 2013

Will I regret having a 15-inch cabinet between the sink cabinet and the dishwasher ( on the left of the sink)? This will provide more efficient unloading of dishes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boops2012

But will it be comfortable to use the DW ( loading ,unloading) having to take another step to the left? I did a dry run my reach to the lower rack is approx. 10 in. Into the Dw. This is just swiveling and leaning down for lower rack. But if you place your feet further apart, you can just transfer weight back and forth.
I would suggest a dry run - or mock up to see if it would work for you.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 11:56AM
jellytoast

I would prefer more efficient LOADing of dishes, so I'd want the dishwasher right next to the sink. I would not want to drip water across that 15-inch expanse between the sink and the dishwasher.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 12:24PM
strayerdarb

In my preliminary design there is a skinny cabinet between my sink and dishwasher and I have been thinking there is something wrong with that. It just seems like it would be just fine having no cabinet there. Then I can add that 15 inches to the end of the cabinet run where it would be more useful. Thanks for bringing this up.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:24PM
annkh_nd

My DW is on one leg of a U, with the sink at the closed end. There is a trash pullout between the DW and the corner (which is an angled cabinet), so it's over 2 feet from the DW to the sink. It's not a problem at all. We don't pre-wash our dishes, so most go directly from the table to the DW. Sometimes we do rinse a dish or scrape into the GD at the sink, but I haven't found the dripping issue that jellytoast mentioned to be a big problem - my kitchen floor is tile, so a few drops of water won't harm it.

I realize it's an unpopular configuration on GW, but it works really well for us, especially for unloading dishes. I couldn't have put the DW next to the sink without giving up a lot of efficient and valuable storage space.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:23PM
sena01

Would that 15" cab be for trash? I have a 15" pull out trash cab b/w the sink and DW, and since my DW is a raised one, I can easily use the DW even when the trash is open. But with a normal DW it may not work so well.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Brickton's Finished Kitchen
We started our house in the fall of 2011 and moved...
brickton
Fabricator questions
We were just told that the fabricator our contractor...
tea4all
Shiloh vs. Diamond - Help!
We are in the process of a large remodel of our home....
jalit1013
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
Sponsored Products
Tommy Bahama Black Sands Swivel Outdoor Bar Stool with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Dark Forest Rug 10' x 14' - PEWTER
$3,899.00 | Horchow
Fresca Torino 24 Light Oak Modern Bathroom Vanity w/ Vessel Sink
Hudson Reed
23" Infinite Wide Stainless Steel Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Crystorama Cameron Glass 18" High Bronze Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus