material for table in kitchen booth

lakewillowOctober 12, 2012

I recently bought a 1920s era house with a very small booth eating area in the kitchen. They had a laminate covered mystery material table in the booth, so it had to go. Now I'm trying to decide what wood material to make the new table and where to start. Would a cabinet maker be able to make a custom table for me? It would be affixed to the wall and have a single leg support. Would you go with oak? It has to be very durable and low maintenance. I don't like the idea of having to seal and re-seal butcher block. Thanks from a real newbie. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

A custom cab maker might be able to make a table. It depends. You'll have to ask.

I have a DR table made of QS oak. It started as an antique piece, but the top couldn't be saved when they went to refinish it, plus I needed a few leaves that would have to be made new anyway. A new top was made to go on the antique legs. I didn't think to ask how the top would be finished. Turns out they coated it with some kind of poly. It's more durable than my other small antique dining table. Maybe something like that could be an option.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

Consider butcher block that has a non=oiled finish, more like a varnish than an oil. Try Bally in Bally, PA. I forget what they call that finish.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Need help on storing root vegetables
Can anyone help me with ideas to store my root veges...
sl4321
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
Help on Cabinet Approach / Selection
Hi, I've actively scoured the forum for useful tidbits...
fshine
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™