WWYD- countertop/backsplash

localeaterOctober 12, 2012

I had a plan, I changed my plan, now I am thinking of changing back.

My cabinets are being made, and should be done mid-November. They are mostly slab front natural walnut, I have only 2 uppers and those are shaker style doors. The island is slab front painted, in BM Providence Olive. The perimeter countertop is definitely Madre Perla. Behind the sink, the Madre Perla will go to the bottom of the sill.

Here's my conundrum:

Option A: Use the Madre Perla on the island. For the backsplash behind the stove, use tile. I have ideas but wouldn't decide until stone was in place.

Option B: Use a wooden island countertop. Use the Madre Perla behind the stove.

I think I will probably not decide until the cabinets are in place and they are actually coming to template the stone. Is this strange?

I love the M.P. I am worried about the kitchen looking cold with so much stone. This is probably a ridiculous concern since so many of you have beautiful warm kitchens with stone topped island. Maybe it is just because it has been cold and rainy here for the last few weeks, my garden is dying, frost is hitting regularly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sixtyohno

Since you have 3 different cabinet finishes/styles I would stay with one type of counter and use the MP on both the perimeter and the island. Otherwise it is too choppy. Don't worry too much about it being cold because if at the end you do feel that way, there are so many ways to warm it up with accessories, especially in winter. A vase of flowers mid winter is perfect.
Laura

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:10AM
localeater

Thanks sixty, You make an excellent point about accessorizing.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:22PM
breezygirl

With so many walnut cabs combined with the tasty olive, your kitchen will be far from cold! It'll be warm and yummy. I'm with Sixtyohno in the is per is better camp. With the different cabs, I'd keep the counters the same for unity. My preference is always to differ the cabs OR the counters. Not both.

Funny you've been getting so much rain. I live in a very rainy corner of the country but today was our first day of rain in months. It's been oddly warm and sunny. The rain started today and won't stop now for months.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 12:37AM
laura mcleod

Totally agree with breezygirl. One of the reasons I love the MP is that is has grey and white in it but it also has some nice warm taupes and caramels in it too - I think with your lovely cabs it will not read cold at all.

(We have it with a slab BS - so lots of it - and it does not read nearly as "cold" to me as my grey/white marble masterbath)

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:43PM
localeater

Thank you all for weighing in. Opinions from people whose kitchens I really admire means a lot. I think my original change from the butcherblock to the madre perla for the island was because I thought I had too many different elements. Now I just need to stay steadfast for a few more weeks. I find it very hard not to begin to doubt myself when it starts to get so close to real.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:15PM
oldbat2be

Not to be a pain but when you say butcherblock, my ears perk up (so beautiful). Have you googled this look on Houzz yet? There may be a way to make it happen.... You put it in place and then figure it out. (Will slink away now...)

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
Sponsored Products
Blue 'Orchard' Nesting Box Set
$32.99 | zulily
Round White Toothbrush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Alpa Brushed Nickel Mini Pendant with Alabaster Shade
$248.50 | Bellacor
Rectangular Counter Top Modern Bathroom Sink | Black Durable Wash Basin
maestrobath
48" Copper Range Hood Backsplash
Signature Hardware