24 or 30 " island/peninsula? Does stuff fall off the side?

deedlesOctober 6, 2012

Just wondering if any of you that have islands or peninsulas that are 24 or 30" wide have any problem with stuff falling off the opposite side from where you are working? Does anyone wish they had a short backsplash to stop this. For some reason I'm picturing chopping veggies and having carrots rolling off the prep peninsula?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angela12345

LOL, for some reason this question has me giggling. I have never had a problem with things falling off. Certainly not any more than could fall off the front edge when I am in front of the backsplashed area. Both of my peninsulas are not very long, more or less about 6 feet from the wall, which is 2 feet of corner wall cabinet and 4 feet of peninsula. The one at home is only 24" wide, so 27" including counter overhang. The one at the beach has a bar overhang on one side, so is about 40" wide.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 9:32AM
steph2000

Great....something else for me to worry about in the peninsula/island dilemma?? Hmm...but it would happen as easily with an island, wouldn't it. I guess I'll still be chopping at the perimeter sink, place my partner at the peninsula seating to act as goalie or become a very neat chopper. Because I can totally see this happening to me now that you bring it up. LOL

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:48AM
sandra_zone6

My island is small - 24" x 48" - and I don't have any problems with it. Where I do most of my vegie chopping is on my butcher block which is 24" x 24" x 12" - no issues there either.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:27AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

In a previous kitchen, I had a 26" peninsula (24" cabinet plus 1" overhangs on either side.) and yes, stuff was always falling off into the cat's water bowls that were on the other side. But, this was also a function of the peninsula location and traffic flow as well as it's narrowness. It was the first horizontal surface that you came to when entering the kitchen from the garage or side doors, and thus it became a big dumping ground for everything. Sadly, it was also the best spot for prep, so your cutting board was always fighting with the mail, or the pocketfull of screws or change, or any number of things that need to be set down for "just a minute". The peninsula was set back from the traffic pattern just enough to have the cat food and water bowls on the other side, and we were always fishing stuff out of them.

As long as you have a junk flow management system in place for mail, backpacks, briefcases, pocket change and other crap that will want to occupy some horizontal surface just inside the family entrance, then you will probably be OK with the space as a pure prep zone. If you don't have a mud area, or other area designated as the dump zone, then you too may have a problem.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:04PM
deedles

Good point, Hollysprings. This would be about the first accessible surface as you come into the kitchen. I'll have to make sure the entry has a place to catch this kind of stuff before it gets into the kitchen. Thanks for that insight.

Sounds like the rest didn't have too much of a problem with the food prep part per se.

We are terrible at laying stuff down to get at 'later', so I'll definitely factor this in to the planning. Thanks again!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™