Ready to throw in the towel....
Don't know how many of you remember my post last month, but we had a leak- so this "remodel" wasn't planned and needed to be done ASAP. Didn't need a new layout, sort of just an update.
Nothing- and I do mean NOTHING has gone smoothly and now, 6 weeks into this mess, I want to give up and cry. Worst has been the granite. We searched and searched for a single slab to cover 133" with no seam that wasn't gold, brown, beige or black. Had to be reasonable price (up to level 3). Found ONE. Template done, went and did the layout just to be sure. Install was Monday. Fabricator cut a 6" radius instead of a 3. I now have a corner of the cabinet that holds the microwave drawer (and opens into the rest of the great room) exposed. Cabinet can't be cut. Granite can't be added on to. There's nothing anyone can come up with that will look right except find another piece. My fabrication company is wonderful- they're willing to do what's needed, but we still have to find another piece... Did I metion this now puts my flooring and backsplash on hold again? The best purchase I made was a clearance thick area rug to put in the kitchen during this whole mess.
Sink cabinet was ruined in the leak. Odd size, had to be custom made. The doors were moved 1/2" over to build up an edge for the new granite over the dishwasher. Wanted to move the trash can under the sink in a pull out door- Now the door won't clear the handle on the warming door of the stove and I tried for 3 hours yesterday to get the actual spec's for the handle before I let DH take it totally apart (Upper handle sticks out 2" lower is 3"- I was hoping we could swap them or replace the lower with a "new" upper handle). Nobody can find anything- GE, local parts dept, web. I'm ready to scream.
Ordered a Kobe range hood. We didn't remember what the opening was (got rid of the old one years ago and just had OTR Advantium). Ordered one that could go 4 different ways to cover all bases. One minor issue they didn't mention- you have to cut out nearly the ENTIRE bottom of the cabinet to fit all those sizes you don't need. Would have left a 3" wide base in the front to hold up the 40 lb hood. Needless to say we ended up putting 2 filler pieces on the sides and now need to put a filler in front to cover those fillers.
Foud out the Miele DW I got on clearance- "last years model" that I had to buy a front panel for (Saved $500 off original price, had to pay $300 for the front & kickplate)- was actually 4 years old AND originally had a front on it. That went back yesterday. The Diamond series with the fancy lights should be here next week. And they matched the price I would have paid thru AJMadison with no sales tax. At least that seems to be under control- we'll see.
And DH wonders why I'm ready to scream. At least I currently can cook again and have a sink. Gotta be happy for the minor victories at this point. I've gotten the carpet replaced (leak spread to the back bedroom) in 2 of 3 bedrooms - last b/r carpet will be done the 6th, hopefully. And I'm getting rid of tons of "stuff"- kids things left behind that they don't want (youngest is 30)- all that accumuation from living in the same place over 20 years.