Fabrication differences: granite v. soapstone

peridot44October 10, 2012

I'm going to search for a soapstone fabricator soon. My GC has never subbed out for soapstone before. And, my cabinet guy "has only heard bad things about how fragile it is."

So, needless to say, I'm not asking them for fabricator recommendations.

Based on what I've learned on GW, soapstone and granite should not undergo the same fabrication process. So, I need to be wary of a fabricator who can't articulate how he would do soapstone differently from granite.

But, if I'm going to be an educated consumer, I need to know the right answer when I ask, "how do you do handle a soapstone fabrication?" Basically, I'd like to know what part(s) of the granite fabrication process are no-nos for soapstone.

Can anyone tell me the key things to look for? Or, just as important, what responses would tell me I should avoid a certain fabricator?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheri127

You would do best to find someone who just works with Soapstone. What part of the country are you in?

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 8:00AM
peridot44

I'm in the western suburbs of Baltimore (Go O's!)

But, I'm willing to travel, if the fabricator is excellent and my house is within his range.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:13AM
oldryder

any competent granite fabricator should be able to fab soapstone. In most respects soapstone is easier to fabricate.
anyone thats been fabbing for a while should already have soapstone experience.

Sealing is a good question to ask; soapstone can be oiled repeated after installation, sealed, or sealed with enhancer. Oiling or seal & enhance bring out the most color in the stone. A good fabricator will explain the difference and give you a sample before they apply the oil or sealer.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 2:27PM
MelYoung

Please feel free to call me at my work. Avanti Marble & Granite, Inc. We are a distributor of Soapstone and I can answer any questions you might have. 301-874-3900 We are in Frederick, MD.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 2:26PM
MelYoung

Hi again - I hope you didn't take my above message the wrong way. I am not trying to sell you anything. We do not sell to the general public. It struck me that it might sound like a sales pitch. I truly would just answer any questions you might have.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:50PM
melissastar

Gardenstate Soapstone in N.J. (others have found them great, though I didn't have a great experience with them...needed Fla. Joshua to refinish my counters.) Bucks Co. Soapstone in Philly, M. Texeria in NY will all come to Baltimore. If you go local....GET REFERENCES and go see the soapstone installed to see if it meets your expectations.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
raee - any tips for cabinet maker you recommended?
Sorry, I still seem to be unable to figure out how...
oasisowner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™