375.00 for precut granite slab?

nosoccermomOctober 15, 2012

A local company offers precut slabs, 26"x8' for 375.00 or even 275.00. Does this sound too good to be true? And what is reasonable for cutting out a sink and installation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springroz

We looked at those. They usually have a poorly matched piece attached to the edge to make the bullnose, with a definite line of epoxy or whatever glue they use. Not a bad budget friendly option, if it looks ok to you.

Nancy

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 8:54AM
jerzeegirl

Our sink cutout is $250 and the cooktop cutout is $150.

When we were granite shopping, one of the salespeople mentioned "the granite wars" that are going on and it's true that there are some places selling granite for $30 per sf.

So it doesn't surprise me that there are places selling it for an even lower price. There's an economy of scale when you cut out a lot of pieces the same size. If you are interested you should look over the pieces and make sure they look good and fit into your kitchen scheme and, most important, that you like the granite.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 9:16AM
cloud_swift

We paid $240 for a 3' x 8' pre-cut Shanxi black "island" blank with laminated edge on two sides. That works out to $10 a square foot for a uniform pure black slab.

We needed it to get a black piece 24" by 53" for our hearth and it was an inexpensive way to get a piece of pure black granite. In our case, we didn't need the laminated edge, but the edge was well done.

The amount in our itemized contract with our GC for fabrication of the fireplace surround and hearth to cover cutting 4 rectangles - one for the hearth and 3 from our quartzite counter remnants for the surround - and installation was $500.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Pot filler, Gooseneck or Pullout over Prep sink
I’ve searched the internet for similar topics but...
Gemcap
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™