Kitchen Layout Opinions

caben15October 6, 2013

Hello Kitchens Forum,

I'm in the process of tweaking my kitchen cabinets and layout. The design has two walls of cabinetry (one with a wall oven and storage cabinets, and another with the cleanup sink, dishwasher, and a 36" counter-depth refrigerator), as well as a 12x5' island, with the range centered. This image shows what the current layout looks like:

It's been of growing concern to me that the 36" fridge may not be enough space. In a past house I had a 48" counter-depth fridge and the freezer space was minimal and the fridge a little tight. This was before we had children. Now we have a little one, and eventually there will be more mouths to feed. I had figured we could have a fridge in the garage (about 20 feet away), but having to run out and get something from the garage is a bad failure mode, especially given the size of house (~5000sqft).

Due to some complexity of design (it's a remodel), I can't use any fridge wider than 36" on the sink wall. So if I wanted a larger fridge I'd have to switch the fridge with the wall oven on the other wall. I mocked this option up using a 24" integrated freezer and a 36" integrated fridge unit (both counter depth):

The downside of this is that my tight work triangle seems to be compromised.

What are your opinions? Am I missing anything? Am I overthinking this?

Notes:

- I've pondered variants of keeping the current 36" and adding some fridge/freezer drawers, but this has been more disruptive to my cabinetry so I don't think that'll work.
- I've also pondered door swings on the integrated fridge/freezer in my second mockup above. I'm now wondering if I should reverse the swing of the fridge/freezer from what's shown, to make the fridge easier to access from the prep zone.

This post was edited by caben on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 3:15

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbflavor

layout 2 : since the freezer is an all separate unit, I would place on far left side of that wall, hinged on left and filler at end,so that the door opens properly.It's only going to be a couple steps away from fridge and it's going to be a separate maneuver to open and negotiate thru to get your items anyway. Then place fridge...[of size of your choosing] so you have some counter to the right-even just 15 or 18 inches. Undo the vertical stack for ovens...keep mwave or oven below the counter there and place the remaining of the 2 units under counter between fridge and freezer.These changes will undo the kind of blockages/or barriers of the side walls of the vertical appliance stacks when coming thru the passages in that corner which would benefit your plan.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbflavor

the other thing to consider is to place vertical appliances[ALL] on left or non window wall. that would create a wall of very little or no counter but you would have the 5 ft side of island to pivot toward and All counter flanking window wall.Might be worth this approach.Much discussion can be had of island and cooktop setup-the mass-the venting-but you're not on that topic,so,pass. It's very definitely an island dominant plan.....banking up the side wall with the appliance cluster might open up the window wall for a better backdrop visually to the island....with counter/backsplash/light/glass doors/etc.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
Kitchen layout help, please
Please forgive me, I am not sure if this post should...
kymberie
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™