Floorplan Help

socomOctober 6, 2013

We are in the process of deciding which floor plan for the kitchen.

Design # 1 has a rectangular island and I think the pantry works out better for us since I tend to store things and do not want people to walk through the butlers pantry in Design # 2. I like that the kitchen is centered with the great room.

Design # 2 has a l-shaped island. I like the fact that I can see directly out to the yard from the kitchen. I would create a breakfast nook by creating a l-shaped bench along the wall of the butler's pantry.

I'd like any suggestions or input of what you think is the overall better floor plan. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socom

Design # 2.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 12:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mama goose_gw zn6OH

I'm not one of the designers, but I'll post my first impressions. In design #1, you have the cleanup sink and (what I think is) the range, butt-to-butt, making it difficult for more than one person to work in that space. It's nice when elements line up, but not at the expense of function. I think you have a prep sink near the lower right corner, between the fridge and range--that's functional, but it means you'll be prepping while looking at a wall, with your back to the family room. At any rate, the range should be moved closer to the prep sink, and the cleanup sink closer to the breakfast area. The plan is difficult to read, even when I enlarge it, so I'm not sure of the island length. If you plan the recommended 24" for each of the six seats, then your island would be 12' long.

Since you have access to the outside via sliders in the family room, I'd eliminate the door in the breakfast area, and consider a banquette there.

Having said all that, here's a pic of a gorgeous kitchen with a similar island, with seating, open to a family room. Gaphappy's kitchen:

Design #2 would also benefit from a built-in banquette area, IMO. I like the kitchen in the back alcove, but, I'm not sure about the shape of the island. Unless you're using it for time out--put a kid on each end, and they can't touch, or even see each other. Problem solved. ;)

Seriously, you have a 'pinch point' with the island and the DW, in a major traffic area. I'd move the sink and DW to the top wall, and eliminate the cabinets on the left wall, if you keep the island. The prep sink should be moved closer to the fridge, so you can wash, chop, and pivot to the stove. But I'd change the shape of the island.

I hope that my posting my rambling thoughts will give your thread the bump it needs to get a pro's attention. Good luck. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: gaphappy's thread

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™