Kitchen counter - suggest!

kipraSeptember 22, 2013

Hi,

We are buying a new house and we have an option to decide whether to choose a one level or 2 level kitchen island. I have attached a picture of the model kitchen, our's is very similar to this one. We cook a lot but same time we have enough counter top space that we need. What would be a good option from the looks and resale point of view.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

I think this is like the sing v. Double sink question - that is, 50/50. I had a two-level island and took it out. I vastly preferred the single level I replaced it with.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 12:30AM
35ftcabo

I agree - it's more a matter of personal preference. I debated this question and finally did one level as I wanted a big expanse to work on.

This post was edited by 35ftcabo on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 2:01

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:00AM
gpraceman55

I'd look at it more in terms of what is going to be more functional. The problem that I see with a one level island is where to put electrical outlets. With a two level island, you have a backsplash that you can have your outlets. With a one level island, you either need to put outlets in the sides of the end cabinets or install those type of outlets that pop up from the countertop. For a small island, the outlets in the sides of the end cabinets will do just fine, but it may be more of an issue with a larger island.

Also, if the sink is in the island, you would need to use an air switch for the disposer instead of a wall switch, with a one level. I personally, love our air switch.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 2:20

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:08AM
FoxCrane

One level - you'll get much more useable surface area. It's better for hosting people, as it's easier to have self-serve dishes and you don't have to worry about limited space.

Aside from that, I personally think 2-level counters looks a bit dated to early 2000s.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 3:55AM
javamom66

One level. We replaced our two-level with a one-level and love it.

Interestingly, people are much more inclined to sit at the one level counter. More inviting? At the two-level guests and kids might stand around but they didn't pull out a stool as readily.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:10AM
3mutts

Also having had both, I much prefer a one level. I have no problems with having my outlets on the outer side of the cabinet and on the wall to the right of it. My sink is in my island and I don't mind that, either.

It's easier to keep clean and neat looking, too, IMHO.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 11:14AM
danysedai

One level. I'm in the same predicament (building a house) and chose one level.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 12:18PM
shannonplus2

Another vote for one level. I've had both and prefer one level by far. The outlet issue that a previous poster mentioned is a non-issue.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 12:25PM
jellytoast

One nice thing about the two-level is that it will keep prep messes and dishes out of view while you are in the dining area.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 1:49PM
sjhockeyfan325

That's why I did it originally (I had a two-level island and a two-level peninsula, both of which I took out in my remodel -- for me the negatives outweighed that one positive).

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:08PM
may_flowers

I had a two-level peninsula and replaced it with one level. I love the extra prep space. I only used one of the two outlets in my old peninsula, so now I have one on the end panel, and it works fine. I also found that the new sinks are deeper than the old, so you can hide your dirty prep dishes and not see them from the table.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:59PM
peony4

Another consideration is the size of the stools needed--counter height (one-level) vs bar height (two-level), and who will be using them. When my kids were small, they could climb up on counter height stools, but bar height would have been more clumsy for them.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 11:36PM
karen.ohio

I am doing a two level, except it is a little different than the one shown. I am doing a larger counter height portion with a table height at one end. One can sit at either height and the lower section acts like a breakfast/snack/baking area. No sink or cook top on either section.

Karen

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Best mid (low?) range painted cabinet: Kemper, Medallion, Home Crest
Love this forum and would love to know anyone's experience...
fourquinn
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™