Does anyone have a downdraft they like?

lavender_lassSeptember 13, 2013

I still am trying to make an island cooktop work...so wondering if anyone has a downdraft that they like? I do not have gas (not available) and don't want propane, so electric cooktop. I don't fry a lot (or cook with onions often) so I'm wondering if a downdraft would work. I would like a pot rack above, but only with a few small pans and some herbs, etc. More for looks than function...and a light :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windycitylindy

We have a house with a Jenn-Air downdraft that is AMAZING. We can fry onions with curry powder, stand right over it while it's cooking, and not smell a thing because it sucks it all out. We do have a straight shot out of the house for the vent--maybe 7 feet or so with only one turn (to go from heading down to heading out), so that may help. Still, I've never seen another vent that works as well as that.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:42AM
windycitylindy

I'll add that we have another house with a Vent-a-hood, and that vent doesn't even come close in terms of performance. The Jenn-Air downdraft does a much, much better job keeping smells out of the house.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:44AM
Fori is not pleased

I've been using my downdraft more (I didn't want to because it's not ducted--just empties into the crawl space) since my kid's been getting more asthma from cooking. It's not awful (but its duct is literally just the distance to the floor). But I'm sure we can find you a retro canopy hood that you can hang stuff from and love. You know what I mean--something with scalloped edges.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:41AM
lavender_lass

Windy- Thanks, it's good to know you found one that works! I have an outside wall about seven feet away, as well.

Fori- Scalloped...that does sound pretty! I just don't want anything too low that will block the light from the windows. I like this too, just for looks and a few herbs :)

From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Really want to improve my kitchen layout…
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Kitchen Layout help... Need opinions.
I am about to start building my house... Very excited...
adrituerk
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Moen Arbor Motionsense faucet and other faucet decisions
Hi - I'm so lost in the world of kitchen faucets and...
hazelwags
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™