rtwilliams?

msroseSeptember 21, 2012

Do you have a close-up picture of your fireplace? It looks like you have the kind of stone I'd like to put on mine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
likewhatyoudo

The stone is called ledge stone from lowes. Easy DIY project.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 10:33PM
msrose

Thank you so much! It's absolutely gorgeous! I want to replace my floors with tile/stone and I haven't decided if I want to go with gray tones or warm tones and it looks like the fireplace stone would look good with either. Can you also tell me what your wall color is. The whole room is so pretty, not to mention the little accent piece in front of the fireplace :)

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 9:59AM
msrose

Sorry, one more question. I'm not a big DIY person, so I'm trying to figure out if this is something I could tackle. Did you have to rent a stone cutter for this project?

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:12AM
likewhatyoudo

The wall color is SW Khaki Shade, if you click on the photo you can see it in the other rooms of the house.

We used a friends wet saw to cut the ledge stone, it cut very easily. The construction adhesive is not the recommended installation method. Lowes recommended to use heavy duty tile mastic. I find tile mastic messy and didn't want it on the front of the stones since they have a rough texture.

If the fireplace surround had been much larger I probably would have hired it out. The tile guy gave us an estimate of $250 for the job. It took 2 of us 3 hours, one cutting and one sticking them on.

We started at the bottom and as we went up, if any started to slide we put a drywall screws under it to hold it in place until it dried. We left the screw in because they did not show. Good luck with your project!

My westie matches my decor :)

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™