Solid Surface Seam

aloha2009September 24, 2013

We were looking at going with a solid surface so we wouldn't have any visible seems BUT I was at a furniture store that had a solid surface and there was an obvious seam.

I had never seen one with a seam, so I was surprised to see one and one I wouldn't have been happy with. I think they advertise that seam are very hidden but won't go so far as entirely invisible.

The ones I've seen were invisible, so now I'm concerned that there is a chance I could end up having a visual seam and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, since there is no guarantee for it to be invisible.

We're looking at an Arctic White so I would expect it to be invisible. I'd be willing to shrink my island down to 10' (from 10.5') just to avoid the seam.

Anyone out there that also has a visible solid surface seam?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heidihausfrau

Our old kitchen had beige Corian counters. There was no visible seam. Until it split there after my kids kept climbing up in the same spot. Right on the seam........it probably could have been repaired?

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 9:55PM
snookums2

I wouldn't want a seam on an island. I think you're taking a chance whether it is visible or not. And that might change over time, as heidi mentions (but for things other than climbing!).

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:08PM
aloha2009

Wow, I've never heard of a solid surface actually splitting!

They are suppose to be repairable but again wow, never heard that before.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:38PM
sjhockeyfan325

I wouldn't want a seam on an island.

Me either - I'm designing my island so it can be done with one slab. If I have to downsize the island, I will!

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:01PM
beachlily z9a

In my last house, the corian countertop eventually cracked on the seam. It was over $500 to repair that crack, but it was again invisible when the repair was finished. Don't know what made it crack--two adults, no children. The house was about 8 yr old when that crack happened.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
Kitchen update.
New cabinets - Natural Cherry - Ramsey Cabinets VA Soapstone...
arch123
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™