Looking for help with eat-in kitchen

kmonsonSeptember 3, 2012

We have finished the demo and now have a big open room waiting for some inspiration. To the left is a pantry (that will have doors) and the sliding door leads out to the deck. Behind (in this pic) is the rest of the working kitchen. The space is approx 70 inches x 100 inches wide (window to pantry). We have played with the idea of building a banquette under the window approx 60 inches (as the sliding door only comes 10 inches from the exterior wall).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmonson

Here is another picture, with a cameo by my little helper!

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 8:24PM
a2gemini

How many peeps will eat at the table ?

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 8:24PM
kmonson

Currently 4, but I would like to be able to seat 6 - 4 kids and 2 adults. Any more than that and we'll be in the dining room.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 8:48PM
dan1888

ou are challenged for space. But you have the area open to play with. You can use cardboard from an apliance shop or hood boxing cardboard from a collision shop to make some simple full size mock-ups for testing. Use every inch. Possibly something could be done with the sliding door. Prioritize.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 9:14PM
kaismom

most people only open one side of the sliding glass door. you can judiciously/creatively cover up the side of the door that is not being opened. good luck

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:40AM
kmonson

The sliding door is being replaced with French doors in the very near future. Good idea about the cardboard.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 10:12AM
marcolo

Make the door on the right inoperable. You won't be able to use it with any kind of seating there.

A banquette optimally requires a 6' by 4' space to seat two people side by side, and two on the opposite side of the table. L-shaped banquettes have different requirements. It would be much easier to help with a to-scale measured drawing. Include all wall jogs and the width of the right-hand door.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 10:17AM
Laurie

I agree that you need to make one side inoperable. I have a similar situation in my kitchen - the area where the table has to go is minimal, with egress issues. I put in a patio door and the left side of course, does not open - allowing me to have some extra space for the table and chairs. If it weren't for that, there's no way I could have managed to get in 4 seats. I probably would have had to do a small breakfast bar off the wall.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Curava countertops?
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Curava...
katlynn719
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™