Tips on cutting this laminate counter

weedyacresSeptember 24, 2012

We're re-doing the kitchen in a small rental. It's U-shaped and I bought 3 prefab slabs of laminate counters with 1 mitered side. The challenge is that the piece along the back wall needs to be mitered on 2 sides.

I need to cut the miter on the currently straight side and then router out draw bolt holes on the underside. It's simple in concept, but I'm a little skittish about cutting the miter, in particular through the backsplash portion.

Any tips on how to do this easily--and, more importantly--straight and cleanly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hags00

Here is a great website

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting laminate

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 8:39PM
Clarion

This is not a DIY project. You will need a large tablesaw sufficient to cut the backsplash, and the angles will need to be measured. Doubtful that the cabinets and walls are all exactly 45 degrees.

After that, you have the sink cut-out.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 8:42PM
greendesigns_gw

Either buy a couple of cheap sections to practice on, or call around to find a fabricator. It's not at all easy to do, even for a pretty experienced DIYer.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:24PM
Angie_DIY

I should preface this by saying that I have never cut laminate, so I am not sure this will work. However, I suggest making yourself a straightedge guide for your circular saw.

Oh, I just looked at hags's link, and see the same idea, but even extended to a guide that wraps around the backsplash. Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: saw guide

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 11:55PM
cabmanct

Find a local cabinet shop with a sliding saw, you will need at least a 12" or greater 100 tooth laminate blade.
They will be able to miter it at both ends so it fits perfectly and the laminate doesn't chip.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 9:31AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Do a 3,4,5 measurement to figure out how out of square those corners are and that will tell you if you really even want to think about tackling this. The hassle factor and mistake chances are high, and the reward is little for this to be a DIY project when just paying someone to do it isn't gonna break the bank.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:12AM
CEFreeman

I see on the DIY shows that you should also cut with the good side facing down, and lay tape to cut thru to minimize chipping.

I'll do a lot of things on my own, with ignorance being the guiding factor.
This is one thing I wouldn't do myself. To do it well, it's a bigger job than just running a circular saw thru it.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:22AM
weedyacres

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I checked out the links and googled some other stuff, and didn't see an error-proof way to get the miter cut clean through the backsplash portion, even cutting from the bottom side, taping it, and making a straightedge saw guide.

So I called around and found a place that will cut the miter and router the draw bolt holes for $30 while I wait. I'm afraid this intrepid DIY-er is going to hand it to the pros.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 5:52PM
Angie_DIY

The better part of valor is discretion

Henry The Fourth, Part 1 Act 5, scene 4

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™