What do you call "under counter dishwasher?r

sunnylundSeptember 6, 2012

It's confusing to learn terms...

What do you call the dishwasher under the countertop? Built in, Console, partial built in, or portable??? I am thinking of replacing my white dishwasher to stainless steel one but not sure which is which. the dishwasher goes under the countertop and control panel is upper side of the door? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Well I'm confused. As you describe I call it a dishwasher. Put in a space in the cabinets usually next to the sink, it has it's own plumbing. Built in I guess you would say.It is what most people think of when they hear "dishwasher".
A portable is on wheels and you move it to the sink to use it.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 7:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Just "dishwasher", if you're in the US. Regular old dishwasher.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 7:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I think you are confusing yourself, the answer is pretty simple

Built in - dishwasher built in, under the counter as you are looking for.
Console - built in though you have to add a panel to it so the front will match your cabinets.
Partial built in - no idea
Portable - portable dishwasher that is not built in, and doesn't go under your counter, you can wheel it around.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 7:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Console or full console is having all displays/buttons on the front exterior panel

Panel ready- requires your custom panel in front to match cabinets.

Fully integrated- no displays or controls in front of diswasher. Must open door, controls/displays are on top inside edge of dishwasher door.

Partially integrated- display and/or a few controls on front exterior panel while rest of controls and perhaps another display on top inside edge of dishwasher door.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 8:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"The control panel is on the upper side of the door". If you mean the control panel is not visible when the door is closed that would be an "Integrated" dishwasher.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 8:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The two main categories of DW's are built ins and portables. Portables can be countertop, or roll around.

Built in Dw's can have the controls hidden on the top edge of the DW (fully integrated), partly on top and partly on an exterior panel (partially integrated) or the controls at the top of the exterior front panel. They also can accept cabinet panels (panel ready) but only the "panel ready fully integrated" ones will disappear into the cabinetry and look like a cabinet (if you follow the manufacturer's installation instructions). In addition, there are DW drawers that can be a regular appliance color or accept cabinet panels.

I think you need to visit a few appliance showrooms to physically see these styles to judge what it is that you want to replace your old DW with.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™