Silgranite sink - sponge holder type to stick?

thedorkSeptember 30, 2013

Do you use any and how it sticks to the sink? I bought Casabella one and it doesn't stick to the sink. Any good looking ones out there? I would like the sponge to be in the sink not on the top of the counter.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a2gemini

I use the microfiber pads from WS and just toss in the laundry after use. I would be interested to hear if you find an answer :-)

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 8:05PM
repac

I tried one from BBB with suction cups, and it too did not stick to our silgranit sink. Right now, I'm just hanging it over the side of a plastic bin holding cleaning supplies beneath the sink. Not elegant, but for right now it's working. Would love to get a better solution.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 10:17PM
heidihausfrau

Nothing sticks in my silgranite either :(. I have an IKEA scrub brush with a suction bottom that falls over every time. Didn't realize these sinks were suction proof.....

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 7:29AM
live_wire_oak

Sponges are so unsanitary! They are THE most bacteria laden item in a kitchen, second only to the chicken carcass itself. Change out to dish cloths and dish towels and change them out daily.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 8:06AM
kksmama

I'm interested in suggestions, too! What do you recommend, live-wire_oak? And even if it is changed out daily, where does the dish cloth live between uses? I just cleaned out my tilt outs which have been holding sponges, and have to agree that is not a good plan.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 9:07AM
Nicole6

I keep my dishcloth either hanging over the side or in the bottom of the sink. I've seen this but am not sure it would work with a Silgranit sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: cloth holder

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 10:35AM
robo (z6a)

My sponge hasn't killed me yet. Neither have my week old dish cloths although I try to wash em when they don't pass the sniff test.

I use a countertop soap dispensor with sponge holder, the umbra joey.

Edited to add: I know that doesn't get the sponge off the counter. In the past I've also used saddle contraptions over the sink divide but obviously not practical for single bowl sink. They also sell some sink caddies that combine a metal ledge, like a gripper, WITH suction cups?

Here is a link that might be useful: joey

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 12:23

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:18AM
corgimum

I have a sink grid and just lay sponges and dishcloths on it to dry.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:30AM
illinigirl

I put the sponge in to the dishwasher (sanitary cycle) every time I run it. So daily, at least. Then I leave the sponge in the d/w until I need it. Also because my special needs son will come and grab the sponge if it sits in the sink. So I've become used to just storing the sponge in there.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 12:26PM
thedork

Great suggestions! Thank you all! I'll keep it in the sink for right now.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:03PM
lawjedi

admittedly I can be obsessive at times. I LOVE my silgranit sink, but really missed the ability to have the suction thing for sponges/dish wand/scraper...

a few attempts I made...
used command hooks (that adhesive thing that you pull down to remove cleanly) for awhile. worked and then suddenly didn't. (although I did just notice at my local target that they are carrying command products for shower area now... I guess they solved the water/adhesive problem)

I used this for a long time and was mostly happy with it. Cleaning it was a bit of a pain, but ok. one day I had the brilliant idea to throw it in my dishwasher and the inner liner shrunk. But before that happened, I was satisfied. http://www.amazon.com/Casabella-Sink-Sider-Faucet-Caddy/dp/B001YHTWFC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1380681972&sr=8-5&keywords=sink+caddy

after the liner shrunk, I pulled out the big guns. So far, I'm thrilled. Rare earth magnets. I have 2 long ones on the outside of the sink, and 2 long ones on the inside. I am using an old favorite sink/dishwand holder that I removed the suction cups from.
rare earth magnets: http://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magneticsî-Neodymium-Magnets-4-Counts/dp/B000UUDGV0/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1380682194&sr=8-20&keywords=rare+earth+magnets These are the ones I got... but the price was quite different. I think I paid $12 or so for them.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 10:58PM
soupfed

Here is what I found at Homegoods. It really seems to work. I took a picture of both sides of the sponge.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:06PM
twosit

I've been using one of those saddle things, but will be remodeling our new cottage and will likely be putting a single bowl silgranite sink in. I had never seen the saddle that goes over the faucet--that is a great option. I also love the magnet idea! I just purchased a bunch of really tiny strong magnets for my daughter's wedding--I imagine they would have to be larger for holding through the sink--but great idea...thanks.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 11:12AM
raee_gw

I bought a pretty stainless one with suction cups for my Blanco ss sink. It won't stick on that either. I may staple it to the inside of the undersink cab door.

L_W_O, all those germs build up your immunity! They are good for you! LOL!

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
Is it okay to rave about Executive cabinets?
We have been living in our new house for about 8 months....
david_cary
My Conestoga Cabinets have arrived, now the fun begins
My cabinets arrived this past Thursday and thought...
aries61
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™