"Best" Shaker style door

strayerdarbSeptember 29, 2013

Hi! My custom cabinet maker can make my doors however I want. Here are 2 photos of 2 examples of how he can do the inside edge. What is the best, classic shaker door style? (width of the stiles and rails and type of bead or bevel on the inside panel). Photo 1 is a bead and photo 2 is a slanted edge like a bevel. He can do whatever I want. I just can't tell in most of the Houzz photographs what this part of the cabinet door looks like because I can't zoom in enough to see that level of detail.
My kitchen will be frameless full overlay shaker cabinets, painted white on perimeter, island painted dark, white macaubus quartzite on island, antique brown granite on perimeter. Contemporary hardware and fixtures, but not ultra-modern.
Photo 3 is my inspiration kitchen.

Thanks!!

here's photo 1: bead

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strayerdarb

Here's photo 2: slanted or beveled

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:38PM
strayerdarb

Here's photo 3 - the inspiration kitchen

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:39PM
a2gemini

I went "beveled" to keep dirt down -not sure it makes that much difference - so go with what you like visually.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 6:41PM
dermnp

I have #1 and very happy with it. DH wanted your #2 option but for me it was just too simple, I really like the curves of #1, still simple but a little dressier. It is all depends on what look you are going for. Plus as always and what really worked for me, is going with what feels right to you.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 6:58PM
may_flowers

My beveled cherry is over a year old and I haven't once had to get out the Q-tips to clean the corners. It looks like traditional Shaker until you look up close. Let's face it, people vow they'll clean more when they get a new kitchen, but that only lasts a few months before the novelty wears off, then you're back to your old cleaning habits.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:00PM
may_flowers

Sorry. I keep making duplicates lately, and I'm not doing anything different!

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 19:24

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:01PM
raee_gw

When I was searching, I always had a gut attraction to the beveled edge over the curved; who can say why? Do you ever feel that for one or the other?

I do think that the bevel looks more "shaker" and the curved more transitional. What is the feel that you are going for?

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:13PM
strayerdarb

I want it to be a clean look. I want to get away from any fussy raised panels (my current kitchen) and fussy mouldings. The mouldings will be a simple cove style and hopefully the full overlay, frameless cabinets will be very clean and simple.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:30PM
illinigirl

I am going for #1! They call it quarter round though- I think that is the same as what you are calling bead. It looks the same to me at least.
these are vanity cabinets but same door style by my cabinet maker although we are doing frameless full overlay:

[img][/img]

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 9:00PM
strayerdarb

Thanks! Does anyone have a photo of the beveled style in white paint?

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
CBP fusion pro grout (what is the correct color to use here?)
Hi, I ordered light quartzite tiles in 8'' x 24'' ...
ezpond
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™