What kind of finish is on your kitchen floor tile?

marti8aSeptember 19, 2012

My previous tile had a gloss finish. Easy to clean (except the grout), not really slippery unless there is standing water on the tile. But a gloss surface also shows everything more than a mat finish I think.

I brought home a sample yesterday that was more than just mat finish, it felt like bisque. Since it was the store sample, I didn't put it through the stain test to see how easily it cleaned.

So I'll ask you instead. What kind of surface looks good even when slightly dirty and is easy to clean?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny20

Mine is matte, imitation slate. It has an imitation slate texture and some subtle mottling in the medium dark gray color. It does not show dirt. It looks the same whether it is recently washed or not. It is perfect for my environment, where dirt is grayish and for six months we (and the dog) track in dark gray road slush. Someone elsewhere made a good point that if you live where it's sandy and dusty, then a beigy color is good, and if you live where the clay is red, a reddish, terra cotta color is good. I thought that was really smart.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:14PM
marti8a

That's a good idea. The guy at the floor store said he went out to his backyard, smeared some dirt on his sock and took that to the store with him. lol

Our dirt is almost black and I don't want anything that dark though.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:22PM
willtv

We have natural cleft slate.
The finish on the tiles is flat and we applied several coats of a matte finish sealer.
It's been 2 years.
It has yet to stain and cleans up easily.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:45PM
may_flowers

I think I know what you mean by a bisque texture. One of our samples didn't seem to have any gloss, but I thought that ground in dirt might be hard to mop off. Maybe it was meant to be bathroom tile. We picked a tile with low gloss and a smooth texture, but with some pattern. I just go over it once with a mop. It doesn't need detergent.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:53PM
springroz

I can tell you that I find the ever- popular Catarina in the matte finish VERY difficult to clean. It is on the floor of my MB toilet area, and the tub deck. The floor is not bad, but (perhaps because it is closer to eye level) the tub deck...i have to SCRUB every spot, it doesn't just wipe off.

Hth, Nancy

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 7:29PM
autumncolor5

We have Florim Tundra Winter through body porcelain. It is beige with a lot of variation. It looks like stone. We have gotten a lot of compliments on it. It's great. It doesn't show dirt and is so easy to clean. I am extremely happy with it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
glazzio waterfall tile
considering glazzio waterfall tile in my kitchen for...
munnybunni
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Left/Right/Center & Related Hand & Faucet Questions
I've searched & read countless threads here over...
Carrie B
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™