Need help ASAP sanded or unsanded for marble?

JAM_SFSeptember 6, 2013

I need the great expertise of this group. I have a honed staggered marble mosaic backsplash, and have read that joints over 1/8 should be sanded, under that, you can go unsanded. My tile guy is telling me that he won't scratch the tile with sanded, and he's recommending sanded. He says it holds in place better and doesn't crack or shrink as much as unsanded.
I'm torn because I wanted the clean look of unsanded, but I am not the expert and I don't want him to leave and then find out in a month or two that he was right and the grout isn't as full and cracking.
My joints are about 1/16 in the smallest area, and then about 1/8 in the biggest areas.
He is saying that it will look more full to go sanded.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
He will be grouting tommorow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beekeeperswife

I don't have marble, but...

I had used sanded grout in the last kitchen with the arabesque tiles, this kitchen I was able to do unsanded with the same tiles. The look is so much better and smoother.

just a side note, I used the expensive additive to prevent staining in the grout instead of mixing with water. It was worth every cent of the $42 it cost me. Nothing stains it all.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:37PM
JAM_SF

Thanks Beekeepers... do you know the name of the additive? It seems I am going to have to go out and buy this, so I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:45PM
FoxCrane

if you want less than 1/8 grout lines, then you need to go unsanded. i'm doing 3x6 honed marble subway tiles for my backsplash and want 1/16 grout lines, so unsanded is what i have to use.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 5:04AM
More Discussions
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™