backsplash

Michele222September 9, 2013

I have an older DCS range that we plan on keeping.
We are getting new cabinets and countertops.

In the past we had a sheet of stainless steel on the wall behind the range going up to the hood.

Now I would like a tile backslash. I have not talked to a tile person as yet. I am wondering where you start the tile behind the range. There is a back to the range that extends up a foot from the burners. This leaves wall on either side of the range that could be tiled as well.

Would they start the tile a counter height on either side of the range and then run it at that same level behind the range?

I have learned so much here. I am very indebted to you all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joaniepoanie

I think they would go all the way up the wall behind the range.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:00PM
Michele222

Yes, all the way up to the hood but where would they start behind the range with the 12 inch back on top of it. Would they begin behind the range at the same height as they do on the counters on either side? In other words would they begin halfway up the wall behind the range or need to start their upward climb at floor level?

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:26PM
SparklingWater

Michele222, my understanding is tilers pull the range forward or out, and start at countertop height behind the range. This way if the range is changed out to island trim, for example, you have it fully tiled.

If you're in your final home, that's your call, but it may be smart to keep enough extra tiles, just in case. Installed later, they might look different in color too. GL.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:39PM
palimpsest

If you can't see it, you usually just start at the same level If you can see any area below the countertop but behind the range, for some reason, I would tile that.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™