Cabinet color scheme help, red, black, maybe cherry

caseyroseSeptember 28, 2012

I am in the early stages of kitchen planning, trying to coordinate colors and would love your thoughts!

Background: large u-shape kitchen with island in contemporary cedar house in the woods in an area with a lot of old dairy farms and barns. Looking for a clean rustic country look, and love the idea of barn red on some or all of the cabinets.

Backsplash: The one thing I have are beautiful decorative tiles in greens, browns and whites with cabins, canoes, trees, etc. in relief. They will be designed into a backsplash with a coordinating plain tile.

Cabinets: Glass door uppers, mostly drawers lower. Also a pantry.

Surfaces: I want to use soapstone on counters or island or both. If I do two surfaces the other will probably be calacatta gold marble or something else light.

I see the island base as red beadboard. The top could be soapstone or marble.

I am playing around with combinations of red, black, natural cherry for the cabinets and pantry. cherry lower/red upper or black lower/red upper or red lower/black upper or all cherry with red island and pantry.

Would love to hear any ideas you may have!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgilcarter

You have too many materials, colors and textures as described. You need to focus in and have a limited and harmonious palette.

For example, we live in a reproduction house of an early 1700s colonial house. Our kitchen cabinets are cherry, our tops are black flamed granite, our beadboard and trim are a deep barn red that's very close in hue and value to the cherry cabinets, with random with pine floors finished in a distressed grey-brown.

Find the few materials and colors that are harmonious and work within them. Less is more! Good luck!

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caseyrose

virgilcarter, That sounds lovely. I was concerned that if I did all or mostly cherry with soapstone counters it might be too dark, but it sounds like you are happy with the cherry cabinets and black counters. I am leaning toward cherry cabinets with the pantry and island base in barn red beadboard. I would do all surfaces soapstone if it didn't make the kitchen seem too dark.

I am interested in your floors and would love to see a picture of them (and of your kitchen). I love random width and painted floors.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Outlet covers?
As my electrician was putting in my outlets I couldn't...
KarMar00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™