Soapstone Problems

BillMarSeptember 10, 2013

Our Soapstone countertops were installed less than a year ago. When installed the counters looked like granite � highly polished, which was not what we had been expecting but though we could live with. Now less than one year later, the gloss finish appears to have worn off, we are getting serious stains / water marks. I have tried both wax and oil but these wear off quickly and do not remove the water marks / stains. Based on what I have read, I suspect the fabricator improperly finished the soapstone and it needs to be re-honed. Greatly appreciate any thoughts / suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Yes, it needs to be re-honed with a lower grit. Polished soapstone is nothing but trouble.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 5:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I agree with LWO. I have soapstone in my bathroom that I installed and the grit is around 80 if I remember correctly, it might be 120. I love the rough texture. The ss in my kitchen I did several years ago and it is higher polished, maybe in the 200's. It looks ok, but I am about ready to get the sand paper out. But I'm not recommending you to do this. I feel very confident because I did all the work of final edge finishing, gluing pieces together, and knocking down too highly polished stone that I bought on line from Dorado soapstone. Very happy with ss but I like it more rustic, kind of like a 120 grit sand paper sheet.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
Is glazing stained cabinets going out of style?
It seems like glazing white or cream cabinets is already...
nerdyhousewife
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™