manufactured wood veneer for cabinets

carolmlSeptember 14, 2012

Our kitchen will have wood veneer slab front cabinets with a combination of rift cut oak and teak. My cabinet maker and I have been discussing the merits of using man made wood veneer rather than real wood veneer. The man made product he recommends is real wood from sustainable sources dyed and manufactured to look just like the real wood of the same species. The products are sourced from reputable companies from North America or Italy (depending on which one he chooses) not from China. They are very good looking and consistent throughout and, are from renewable forests. The real teak and oak are harder to source to find both the veneer sheets and the veneered plywood that match. Depending on where the product comes from, it can look quite different. And with the teak, there is the problem of cutting down the rain forest. So, while my heart tells me that real teak and real oak is nicer, my brain tells me that I should choose the sustainable, consistently good looking manufactured wood. Has anyone used this product or have any insight on this dilemma? I'd appreciate any comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcydc

Would you by chance be in the SF Bay Area?

Real is much harder. Reclaimed might be an option - not sure if any cabinet makers do that. My deck furniture is all reclaimed teak.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 8:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolml

I live in BC. Lots of real fir here and pine cut down after pine beetle infestations.....

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Gray Tile Grout - hideous HELP!!
Please help! I asked my tile guy to update our backsplash....
isheryl
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
Outlet Covers for Glass Tile?
Hubby and I finally found a backsplash tile that we...
ctincc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™