Switch Refrigerator and Oven location?

chetsmomSeptember 21, 2012

In our current kitchen plans the oven/MW, stove, and pantry are located together on a separate wall. I'm wondering if we will find the location of the refrigerator inconvenient. Should we move it to where the oven/MW is? Or am I just over-thinking this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aloha2009

We will have a similar run of pantry, frig & wall ovens. In comparison we ARE switching your oven and frig together. Even if you are a more frequent user of the MW, it pales in comparison to how many times a person puts things in or out of the frig.

I'm going to watch the responses in case we missed anything.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 4:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

Your island is a bit of a "barrier island" for the current location of the refrigerator. If you switch the oven & refrigerator, it will be less of a barrier b/w your Prep Zone (the counter b/w the cooktop and sink) and refrigerator.

A couple of other comments: Consider a 90-degree corner rather than a diagonal cabinet. Right now, you don't have much floor space/counter frontage to the right of the sink for prepping. If you make it a 90-degree corner, you gain 12" of floor space. For most people, the deep corner created by a diagonal front cabinet is not very useful except for a TV or maybe a mixer - i.e., storing things there that you don't need to access/pull out that often. I would much rather have the additional counter frontage! Consider many more drawers instead of all those standard cabinets! Most of us here find drawers far more functional than standard base cabinets - even if you have roll out tray shelves in those cabinets.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Cabs above the fridge and wall oven
We don't have a KD yet, and I'm still just figuring...
Jennifer Weinman
High backsplash install quote
My contractor just gave us a quote of $2,200 to install...
leemiller
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
need help laying out a 9 x 13 open concept kitchen in a bungalow.
We recently purchased a 950 sq ft 2 bedroom cottage/bungalow....
taj0418
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Sponsored Products
Live Herb Collection Set
$29.99 | zulily
30-inch Circular Design Stainless Steel Wall Mount Range Hood
Overstock.com
Robert Abbey Odelia White Glass Night Light Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Olde Bronze Outdoor Pendant 1-Light FL
PLFixtures
Aqua Cutaway Pillow
$295.00 | Horchow