fixture finishes- is chrome coming back?

illinigirlSeptember 15, 2013

What fixture finishes are in or out right now? I suspect chrome is popular in one sense in that it's less expensive, but is it coming back in higher end kitchens also?

I am undecided on my fixtures, but I'd prefer to pick something classic that I won't get tired of as easily.

Oh, also, should the faucet finish match the hardware finish or is it ok to mix them? Like black/orb cabinet pulls with a satin nickel faucet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

It's never been out. :)

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 4:13PM
palimpsest

Some very high end companies, Kallista, Waterworks, Lefroy Brooks, are almost completely limited to chrome or nickel fixtures (and some gold). I think it is the high end traditional standard and has never been out.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 4:23PM
pricklypearcactus

I agree that chrome has never been out. There have been other trends of ORB and brushed nickel, but chrome hasn't been out like polished brass was for a while.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 4:36PM
ellaf

Chrome has never been out. Pick something that you love, don't worry about anyone except you, the next person in your house can buy his or her own fixtures.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 8:45PM
Micheline Smith

Not that my kitchen is high end (nor are pulls really fixtures, I guess) but we used chrome pulls and love them. They're shiny and I must be part crow!

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 9:25PM
beekeeperswife

I didn't think it was "out" either. I love chrome, I love the sparkle it gives the kitchen. It's like a shiny piece of jewelry.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 9:26PM
aktillery9

Wow, I never knew chrome was out. Except for the cheap looking chrome faucets etc. But anything cheap looking is likely has always been "out"

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 6:35AM
rosie

It was nice to see all the responses and interesting to learn it is a high-end standard. My reaction was, oh, has it been out?, but I didn't know. :) I just replaced some of the fixtures in a 50-year-old bathroom with chrome to match other, original chrome details I wanted to keep, which were obviously better quality because they still looked nice.

I've read that, generally speaking, two finishes will work but three tend to be too much.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 6:57AM
illinigirl

thanks everyone.....I wasn't suggesting that chrome was ever 'out'.....but i think with all the new(ish) finishes over the years it perhaps wasn't AS popular with some competition. Anecdotally it seems some of the brushed finishes were popular for a while maybe taking some of chrome's market share.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 7:08AM
More Discussions
How to view older (undamaged) Gardenweb threads in Google cache
I’m posting this to create a link to refer people...
mudhouse
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™