Does the homeowner get charged for cabinet fixes/changes?

phiwwySeptember 18, 2012

Mid-install and due to a few issues, KD is making a few adjustments. on the uppers, there was extra space (not sure why) so rather than a filler, we're adding a spice pullout (I'm ordering/paying for the pullout). On the lowers, again extra space and I did not want a filler. They are remaking an adjacent end cabinet to add the space. The trash pullout did not work like a trash pullout - the door opened then the rollout tray would have to be pulled out by the top of the garbage can. they're reworking that. Then there is the island potential issue/change

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg091342347771.html?3

I was just wondering - is it typical for KDs to charge for such revisions? He has not mentioned it, but I feel I should bring it up so I'm not surprised. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsjoe

I'm having similar issues as you and sometimes it just feels like things will never be done right. Anyway, I think the question of cost comes down to who is at fault and what you would have done if the measurements had been correct the first time. I assume your KD did the measurements and not you? If you had been given three extra inches in the kitchen, would you have put in a spice rack or would you have just made one of the cabinets bigger? If the spice rack is literally only to save the KD from having to pay for a whole brand new cabinet, then it's probably on them to pay for it, since a slightly bigger cabinet would have been very little more in cost if done right first. If you would have put the rack in anyway, I would say you might want to pay for at least half.

Are your cabinets custom or semi-custom? That makes some difference too. There are some things that might get a pass in semi-custom that wouldn't in custom.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:16PM
a2gemini

I made it clear - If I changed the plans - I was responsible - if the KD messed up - she was responsible....

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:08PM
phiwwy

Correct - I did not do the measurements. With 3 inches, would have just added on to the cabinets. I honestly don't mind buying the spice racks. I just don't want to pay for anything to be rebuilt. I am sure it will all work out, just wanted to ask the question. I will bring it up with KD. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
What does it take to become a kitchen designer?
I know there were posts on the subject several years...
sjerin
Conestoga: Madison door with beaded inset?
Has anyone done or seen the Madison door on beaded...
akaypick
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
White Macaubus and Sea Pearl quartzite
We are considering White Macaubus for our kitchen in...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™