Ikea wood counters

gmp3September 1, 2013

I am renovating my laundry room and would like to have a wood counters similar to the flooring in the adjacent kitchen and hall as pictured. Is it it possible to stain Ikea wood counters? We will treat them with a water proof finish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex9179

Yes, but the solid oak has been discontinued and has been replaced with another option called Akerby.

Beech and birch are still available, but I think that they tend to blotch when staining.

Lumber Liquidators offers other species.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 4:03PM
writersblock

>Beech and birch are still available, but I think that they tend to blotch when staining.

Using a conditioner before staining is supposed to help wit that. However, getting hold of any ikea BB right now is difficult.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:02PM
gmp3

Of course we have put off this minor update for about a year....just in time for Ikea to discontinue solid oak and run out of the others! Of course, LL's counters are nicer but pricier, I only need 61".

Thanks!

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:19PM
lazy_gardens

Beech stains nicely, if you use a pre-stain conditioner, and has a nice neutral brown tone unstained.

If you are close to them, Perfect Plank sells alder and some sort of tropical wood that looks like mahogany. Alder stains very easily because it's a light brown with no strong undertones. perfectplank.com

If all you need is 5 feet ... check thrift stores for those old oak dining tables. refinish the top

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 8:15AM
gmp3

Lazy you are brilliant!

We are going to IKEA today, the website indicates they should have counters available, but the oak dining table will be option #2.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™