Kitchen aisle spacing

n123September 23, 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the isle spacing between the deck, the second sink, and the seating area. I've read the forum suggested guidelines and tried to make everything be within those constraints but I am still a little nervous about the dimensions. I could steal 3" from the island by switching to a 30" sink (from 33") and I could also shift the island back towards the fridge.

My concerns are if someone is using the second sink and someone is sitting at the end of the island (counter height), is there enough space to walk by to comfortably go outside?

Any guidance is appreciated (even for general layout here, beyond this specific aisle).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GauchoGordo1993

Have you looked at the 31 kitchen design rules? I think the situation you describe is a combination of rules 6, 7 & 8, and I'd say you'd want that walkway to be 54-60" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: 31 kitchen design rules

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 5:48PM
gpraceman55

Do you really need a prep sink that large? It seems that a much smaller one will do.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:14PM
n123

We could get away with a smaller one but the wife and I decided to just make them the same size. Even if we shrink it, it wouldn't increase the spacing in the isle. If we shrink the primary sink, then we could gain 3" on the aisle.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:16PM
robo (z6a)

Hi n123 - where is your dishwasher? Are you planning on a truly counter depth fridge - what is the actual depth of your fridge with handles? Do you have a link to a larger picture? The dimensions on yours are hard to read because groupwise shrank it.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:30PM
gpraceman55

If you use a smaller prep sink, I would think that you could increase the isle width between the refrigerator and the end of the island. It is nice to have the isle wide enough that someone can get by a person that is getting into the refrigerator, otherwise, that becomes a choke point.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:32PM
n123

Here is a better resolution picture.
The fridge is full depth, we are having large cabinets built to case it out. There are two dishwashers flanking the island sink.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:35PM
n123

Hmm it seems gardenweb might be scaling the image. A better link is below on imgur.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen image

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:37PM
n123

I think I might see some confusion, sorry for not being clear. Our "prep" (really, just secondary for cooking helpers) is the non-island sink. Our primary sink is on the island. We currently have them both as 33" but we could shrink the island to 30" and gain 3" of walking space.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:39PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The function is backwards then. Put the DW's on the cleanup sink, and have a smaller prep sink with a 42"-48" aisle between it and the cooking zone. You've got pinch points between the seating and pantry, and the pantry and fridge wall cabinets, and the fridge and island end. Those are all too small.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:49PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The function is backwards then. Put the DW's on the cleanup sink, and have a smaller prep sink with a 42"-48" aisle between it and the cooking zone. You've got pinch points between the seating and pantry, and the pantry and fridge wall cabinets, and the fridge and island end. Those are all too small.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:52PM
GauchoGordo1993

I agree with hollysprings on the size of sinks and placement of dishwashers. I'd just add that you should consider the placement of flatware, plate, and glass/cup storage - best to have those very close to the dishwasher to facilitate unloading.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
What do you think of the deeper Ikea wall cabinets?
To me, it would seem that 15" deep is excessive....
Chinchette
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Bosch cooktop
Hi everyone, I am thinking about getting Bosch 30"...
wmc123
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™